Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
18 1 0 3

Is the day-ahead forecast data for power analysis available in any of the APIs?

We currently use the excel spreadheets that we download manually using Eikon from e.g. Energy -> Power -> Nordic -> Analysis -> Day-ahead -> Fundamentals to "paste" the prognoses into our models. Is there any way to download these spreadsheets using e.g. Python scripts to automate this? I can't find these data with the Data Browser (DIB) or the Excel function builder from Eikon to get some kind of RIC or key tag that can be used in the code. Also, is it possible to run the API on a database server that doesn't have Eikon installed (like a Linux server), just to download the needed forecasts and organize them in our data warehouse, where Power BI (or similar) can get the data?

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apidata
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@roman.malyshev, thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query? If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question. Thanks, AHS

Hello @roman.malyshev

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If so please can you click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Thanks,

AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

We are actively working on a platform that will provide programmatic access to all content assets through a single entry point and a standard set of APIs. However there's no timeframe yet for when PointCarbon content will be available on this new platform.
At the moment the only other product that provides PointCarbon data is Thomson Reuters PointConnect. I'm afraid I'm not very familiar with this product. I believe it allows programmatic access to data, but I'm not sure it covers the specific reports you want to see.
I suggest you reach out to your Thomson Reuters account manager and enquire about PointConnect product or click the Request Details button on the PointConnect page I referenced above.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvote
39.4k 77 11 27

@roman.malyshev
I'm afraid this data is not currently available through any APIs. However you can automate the download of the spreadsheets. See an example by clicking the Templates button in Thomson Reuters ribbon in Eikon Excel and then looking for "Power Gas Carbon Research and Forecasts" template.
To answer the second part of your question, Eikon is an end user product. Any data retrieved from Eikon is "for individual user's use only" per the terms of the standard Thomson Reuters contract. Per standard contract you're permitted to "distribute and redistribute insubstantial portions of information and/or derived data in a non-systematic manner". You cannot legally use any data retrieved from Eikon in any multi-user or server side or enterprise application or store it in a server side or enterprise database. If you'd like to do any of the above, we have a suite of enterprise products that permit such data utilization and come with APIs designed for use in server side or enterprise applications. To explore this further, reach out to your Thomson Reuters account manager, who will be happy to assist you in selecting the product that best suits your needs.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvote
18 1 0 3

@Alex Putkov.

We might have an Enterprise license already, running on a server, in addition to the individual Eikon licenses for those of us who do trading or analysis, but after looking over the Enterprise APIs I still can't find anything about using the Point Carbon app programmatically. I've also tried using the side-by-side integration approach, entering the name of the Point Carbon app that I find through Eikon ("Power Nordic...") as appId, but still no luck interacting with the Point Carbon app. Also, I've tried using the macro-enhanced Excel sheet you referred to, but the data we get from it doesn't match what we get through Eikon or there are some data points missing required to calculate day-ahead changes. Oftentimes, I couldn't find the needed dataset at all. I've also heard from other people in the company that they tried using that spreadsheet downloader, but couldn't find what they needed using it. Are there currently any plans at Thomson Reuters concerning making the Point Carbon data available through an API in the near future?

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.