question

Upvotes
Accepted
37 14 15 18

How do I go about setting up a TREP RFA API environment in java?

treprfarfa-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Monitored by @Pimchaya.Wongrukun

Upvotes
Accepted
17.3k 82 39 63

You can refer to Creating a barebones RFA application in Java to help you set up an API environment to build RFA Java applications. In addition, the RFA Java Dev kit contains examples which will also assist in understanding what is required to build your applications.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
9.6k 10 7 7

Hello @josa

To setup RFAJ Configuration, please refer to Tutorial 2 - Understanding RFA Java Configurations

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
37 14 15 18

Thanks @nick.zincone.1 and @Pimchaya.Wongrukun.

I followed the instructions and tried running Tutorial_06 and I could not get Login Successful message. Am running Java 8 example. Is there anything am doing wrong?

* Begin RFA Java StarterConsumer Program *
Loading config DB from Config File:<../../Config/RFAJava_Config.xml>
RFA Version: 8.0.1.E2.all.rrg
Dec 09, 2016 5:00:58 PM com.reuters.rfa.internal.session.SessionImpl processEventQueueDispatchThreadStarted
FINE: com.reuters.rfa.session.myNamespace.consSession
Session initialization: Dispatch thread "myNamespace::consSession Session EventQueueGroup" started

LoginClient: Sending login request...
dispatch messages...
LoginClient.processEvent: Received Login Response...
LoginClient: Received Login Response - MsgType.REFRESH_RESP
Msg Model Type: LOGIN
Indication Flags: REFRESH_COMPLETE
Hint Flags: HAS_ATTRIB_INFO | HAS_ITEM_GROUP | HAS_RESP_TYPE_NUM | HAS_STATE
State: OPEN, SUSPECT, NONE, "All connections pending"
Group: 0000
RespTypeNum: 0 (RespType.SOLICITED)
AttribInfo
Name: user
NameType: 1Dec 09, 2016 5:00:58 PM com.reuters.rfa.internal.session.ConnectionHandler createConnections
FINE: com.reuters.rfa.session.myNamespace.consSession
Session initialization: acquiring connection "myNamespace::consConnection"

(USER_NAME)
Attrib
ELEMENT_LIST
ELEMENT_ENTRY ApplicationId: 256
ELEMENT_ENTRY Position: localhost/josa6540
ELEMENT_ENTRY AllowSuspectData: 1
ELEMENT_ENTRY SingleOpen: 1
ELEMENT_ENTRY SupportBatchRequests: 7
ELEMENT_ENTRY SupportOptimizedPauseResume: 1
ELEMENT_ENTRY SupportPauseResume: 1
ELEMENT_ENTRY SupportViewRequests: 1
ELEMENT_ENTRY SupportEnhancedSymbolList: 1
ELEMENT_ENTRY SupportOMMPost: 1
Payload: None
dispatch messages...
Dec 09, 2016 5:00:58 PM com.reuters.rfa.internal.connection.ConnectionImpl processConnectionStatusOpenReqMsg
FINE: com.reuters.rfa.connection.rssl.myNamespace.consConnection
Sending CONNECTION_STATUS_MSG, connection name = myNamespace::consConnection, status = { state: DOWN, code: NONE, text: "uninitialized"}

dispatch messages...
dispatch messages...
3 seconds elapsed, class com.reuters.rfa.example.omm.cons.StarterConsumer cleaning up...
RWF: 14.1

Thanks,

josa

icon clock
10 |1500

Hi josa,

There are 2 key items you need to confirm are correct:

1. Server (ADS) hostname/IP
  2. Login user name

I can see from above you are likely using the packaged 'RunConsumer.bat' script which uses the username: 'user'. You may need to change this if your market data environment has permissions enabled. Secondly, confirm your ADS host name, i.e. 'serverList' defined within your RFAJava_Config.xml is correct.

If you are looking to create a market data consumer application in Java and are not restricted to using RFA, I would highly encourage you to consider using the Elektron Message API (EMA).

Hello josa,

You should confirm ADS host/port and login user name if they are correct with:

-Thomson Reuters Account team if you connect to Thomson Reuters Server

or

-Your ADS admin if you connect to your company server

If all are correct:

a) Check if the server and port is available using telnet <server> <port>

b) Check with your network admin if the firewall allows your machine sends/receives messages to/from the server.

Upvotes
37 14 15 18

Hi @nick.zincone and @Pimchaya.Wongrukun, the problem am having in the first place is that we don't have a company server set up for TREP RFA data. Question is how do we set this up? I have been using my development machine for this hence am having this problem. Could you help please provide info on how to set this up?

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
37 14 15 18

Thanks @nick.zincone.1 and @Pimchaya.Wongrukun.

The problem am having in the first place is that we don't have a company server set up for TREP RFA data. Question is how do we set this up? I have been using my development machine for this hence am having this problem. Could you help please provide info on how to set this up (including installation files and configurations)?

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
9.6k 10 7 7

Hello @josa

The overall system that RFA gets data:

a feed -> TREP -> RFA

Now you have RFA but you need a feed and TREP to be able to consume data.

You should contact Account team,Andrew Forman(andrew.forman@thomsonreuters.com) who can provide you with the solution which serve your requirements. e.g. the proper feed, TREP components that you need to install or use Thomson Reuters's TREP.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
37 14 15 18

Thanks @Pimchaya.Wongrukun. Will contact Andrew and let you know if am still having issues setting this up.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
17.3k 82 39 63

Hi @josa,

Alternatively, if your goal is to test connectivity and see data coming through, you may be able to use the interactive Provider example within the RFA package. In general, a Consumer connects to a Provider. In the typical case, when you write an RFA Consumer, you connect into TREP, specifically the ADS component which acts as a Provider of data. So in theory, you can try to build both the Consumer and Interactive Provider examples and wire them up to see data flowing through. Something to consider.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.