For a deeper look into our Elektron API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 0 1 3

Connection down reconnecting

Hello,

I am setting up the environment currently and running the steps in the quick start guide.

I went and ran the following command:

C:\jars\jars_reuters\setup\Elektron-SDK1.0.8.java\Eta\Applications\Examples>java -cp ./bin;../../Libs/upa.jar;../../Libs/upaValueAdd.jar;../../Libs/upaValueAddC ache.jar com.thomsonreuters.upa.valueadd.examples.consumer.Consumer -c elektron: 14002 ELEKTRON_AD mp:AAPL.O

I am getting the following error:

Ultra Performance API (UPA), Java Edition, LibraryVersionInfo productVersion: etaj3.0.3.L1.all.rrg productInternalVersion: etaj3.0.3.L1 productDate: Tue Nov 15 12:44:01 CST 2016 Thomson Reuters Consumer initializing... Unable to load field dictionary. Will attempt to download from provider. Text: Can't open file: RDMFieldDictionary Unable to load enum dictionary. Will attempt to download from provider. Text: Can't open file: enumtype.def Connection down reconnecting Error text: java.nio.channels.UnresolvedAddressException Connection down reconnecting Error text: Reconnection failed: java.nio.channels.UnresolvedAddressException

Kindly suggest.

elektronrefinitiv-realtimeelektron-sdkerror
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
25.3k 87 12 25

Hi @bonson

Are you trying to connect a real data feed or trying to connect to locally running Provider example to mimic a feed?

If you are trying to connect to a real data feed you need to know the IP address or hostname of the server that is provided the data feed.

for example I can run the above example with the following parameters:

-c 10.13.234.166:14002 ELEKTRON_DD mp:VOD.L -uname umer.nalla

In the above example '10.13.234.166' is the IP address of the server which provides the ELEKTRON_DD service and the port is the default port of '14002'.

I am then requesting a 'MarketPrice' for 'VOD.L' from the ELEKTRON_DD service and also specifying my user name of 'umer.nalla'

Also, note the lack of a space between the : and port i.e. 10.13.234.166:14002

The error you report suggest it cannot make a valid connection to the server 'elektron' that you have specified. Is this a valid server name? Also, it is trying to load the dictionary files locally, but since they are not present it will then attempt to download them - once a successful connection to the server has been established.

If you are unsure of the server details / service name / username etc you should speak to your local Market Data team or your Thomson Reuters Account Manager.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello Umer Nalla,

Thank you for your response. I understand now that my user needs to be assigned a valid server name to connect. How do I get that?

I had just for my personal research, created a ID on Thompson Reuters and was trying to access content using code.

How does a general user know his local Market Data team or your Thomson Reuters Account Manager.

Thanks again for the response.

Regards

Bonson

Hi,

To access Thomson Reuters data you generally need to have a contract or agreement with Thomson Reuters.

If you are a corporate user, speak to your Market Data team for further information.

If you are personal user exploring our APIs then you can run a local Provider example in order to create a dummy feed and then direct connect with a Consumer example.

So, for example if you run the Provider example and the Consumer example with defaults parameters - on the same PC - the Consumer should connect to the Provider and request some dummy data, which Provider should provide.

Upvotes
17k 80 39 63

Hi @bonson

Within the quickstart, refer to the troubleshooting section which will detail the issue you may be encountering, i.e. connection.

icon clock
10 |1500

Hi Nick,

Thank you for the response. I wanted to know how to get the server details I need to connect to.

I am a new user. I created my account by giving my details and then was trying out the base code.

Regards

Bonson

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.