For a deeper look into our Elektron API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 0 1 3

Server Details

Hello,

I was just starting out with my first basic code to connect to the database and get some details. However, I am not clear as to where I can get the server details from.

I have registered and created a user in the system and then now was looking at being able to extract data from that.

I went and ran the following command:

C:\jars\jars_reuters\setup\Elektron-SDK1.0.8.java\Eta\Applications\Examples>java -cp ./bin;../../Libs/upa.jar;../../Libs/upaValueAdd.jar;../../Libs/upaValueAddC ache.jar com.thomsonreuters.upa.valueadd.examples.consumer.Consumer -c elektron:14002 ELEKTRON_AD mp:AAPL.O

But I guess I need to know the server details. How do I get the server details that I should connect to after -c

Kindly help

Regards

Bonson

elektronrefinitiv-realtimeelektron-sdk
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvote
Accepted
25.3k 87 12 25

Hi,

To access Thomson Reuters data you generally need to have a contract or agreement with Thomson Reuters and connection to local or remotely hosted (data distribution) server.

If you are a corporate user, speak to your Market Data team for further information.

If you are personal user exploring our APIs then you can run a local Provider example in order to create a dummy feed and then direct connect with a Consumer example.

So, for example if you run the Provider example and the Consumer example with default parameters - on the same PC - the Consumer should connect to the Provider and request some dummy data, which Provider should provide.

The default parameters for both the above examples are document in the readme file included with each example. A summary below:

Default params for Provider example

-p 14002 -s DIRECT_FEED -id 1

i.e. listening for incoming connection on port 14002 and provide data on a service called DIRECT_FEED with a service ID of 1

Default params for Consumer example

-h localhost -p 14002 -s DIRECT_FEED -mp TRI

i.e server address is localhost, port to attempt connection on is 14002, service to request from is DIRECT_FEED and instrument you are requesting is TRI MarketPrice

Hope this helps.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

bonson, I guess your requirement needs a paid service.

The approach that Umer tried to propose is to run the Provider example as a simulation server, not an actual feed server.

The Provider example not only can demonstrate how a connecting client application establishes, connects, sends a request to the server but also you can observe response generated data from the local running provider application.

Note: This diagram demonstrate Umer's running commands given above.

bonson avatar image bonson Nipat Kunvutipongsak

Thanks Nipat. I understand now. So how do I get to know more about the Paid Service and how much it would cost if I am using it as an individual user for research purposes?

Regards

Bonson

@bonson For the server details which is not a technical related question, I suggest you contact Thomson Reuters' Account Team directly. They will help you for a real-time data feed server.

Hi @Umer Nalla,

Kindly excuse my very basic questions as I am a beginner and a personal user.

I want to use this data for research purposes.

As a personal user, what would be the right approach to get access to the News Archives and also to the stock quote archives? Is historical news and stock price movements available for download for free? Or is it a paid service?

Would there be any specific links that would explain this in more detail?

Any help would be helpful.

Regards

Bonson

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.