For a deeper look into our DataScope Select REST API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials

question

Upvotes
Accepted
176 3 0 5

Requests slower than expected and request handling sequence

A couple of questions on behalf of DSS prospect

1. Our developers have been doing some performance testing of DSS REST API TimeSeries requests, this has prompted a few questions that you may be able to help with...

We're finding this type of requests slower than expected.

• When running a testing using all of the securities within the Henderson 2 year test data (where RIC available is about 11000 instruments), requesting data for a period of 7 days, took 20 minutes to return everything.
  • A second test using test code from from Thomson Reuters development community forum produces this result:

This prompts our first question: Is there any throttling or other performance limits for our test account that might explain the slower than expected speed or is this typical? Is there anything we might try that could speed this up?

Secondly, when reviewing the documentation we found the following:

Could you help clarify this for us - does this mean, that requests of the same type will be processed synchronously on the server even if a request is asynchronous?

The follow on from both of these, is a more general question regarding requests: what's the most efficient way to load timeseries data for a big list of IDs and a few years date range?

dss-rest-apidatascope-selectdss
1.png (16.7 KiB)
2.png (16.1 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@Rakesh.Singh

This is a good occasion to encourage your prospect to join the community and post queries himself, thus receiving faster responses.

Hello @Rakesh.Singh

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query? If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

AHS

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.
Thanks,
AHS

Upvote
Accepted
13.7k 26 8 12

@Rakesh.Singh

To your first query:

Performance depends on the server load, which varies during the day, making it very difficult to give numbers. That said, those you mention do not seem unreasonable.

Note: once the data has been delivered, the next get on the location URL will deliver a 404; that is normal, because the data was delivered in the previous call.

To your second query, on:

Multiple requests for the same data type, like tick data, will be placed in one queue, whereas requests for tick data and Intraday bars use independent queues.

This means that requests of the same type are all placed in the same queue. If that queue has a lot of pending requests, processing might take more time than a request for a different type of data that will be placed in a different queue (which could have very few pending requests and therefore process faster).

For that reason, if you have to submit requests for several data types, instead of submitting one, waiting for the results, and then submitting the other, it is worth while submitting both, and checking for results as they become available.

To your general question:

For efficiency, it is best to:

• Avoid (if possible) placing requests at high server load times, like the hours just after big markets close). Weekends are best.
  • Make few request with many instruments (within the allowed limits), instead of multiple small requests.

I'm trying to understand your use case. Will you need to make such large requests on a regular basis, maybe even daily, or is this a once-of to fill a database ?

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
6 4 3 4

Hi Christiaan,

I'm using the Dex2 COM API for VBA to get historical performance data (20 fields) for about 10k instruments. It takes me also about from 20min up to more than 1h, which I think it's a very long time!

I also noticed different running times based on time of the day - could you be a bit more specific on the peaks?

Second question about efficiency: i'm sending requests in batches of 500 instruments for 20 TR. fields - is that optimal or should I rather ask for batches of 2000 instruments but only 5 fields?

Third question about efficiency: how slow is the AVAIL function? Does dividing the assets in categories (Bonds, Equities, Funds) make sense in term of efficiency, so that I can tailor the query with the assetcategory-specific fields instead of using AVAIL?

Many thanks!

icon clock
10 |1500

@nicola.pestalozzi, your query seems to be for the Eikon Data API, whereas this space of the forum (and the trail above) are for the DataScope Select API, a different product. Please post this query in the Eikon Data APIs forum space.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.