Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvote
Accepted
339 4 4 6

How to use get_symbology method using Lipper ID

I tried to use the following call to search for different fund symbols. It was working using RIC, ISIN, but always got an error when using LipperID:

ek.get_symbology(["LP60000008"], from_symbol_type="RIC", to_symbol_type="LipperID")

It will fail using "from" or "to". I tried "lipperID", "LipperID", "Lipper ID", "Lipper_ID". I think the error message do not offer me a valid string for Lipper ID.

For the sample fund above the Lipper ID should be "60000008". i.e. the last 8 character in the RIC. It will be nice if a working sample using Lipper ID in get_symbology call can be provided.

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apisymbologyfundslipper
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Contact Iain Scott and Denis Dollfus to verify this problem

Upvote
Accepted
79.1k 250 52 74

The correct one should be "lipperID". However, in the request message, it has been changed to "LipperID". It could be the problem in the library.

('entity: ', 'SymbologySearch')

('payload: ', {'symbols': ['LP60000008'], 'to': ['LipperID'], 'from': 'RIC', 'bestMatchOnly': True})

Request: {"ID": "123", "Entity": {"E": "SymbologySearch", "W": {"symbols": ["LP60000008"], "to": ["LipperID"], "from": "RIC", "bestMatchOnly": true}}}

HTTP Response: 200 - {"ErrorCode":500,"ErrorMessage":"Can not process metadata for request: SymbologySearch.to - value doesn't fall in valid range: [RIC ISIN CUSIP SEDOL ticker lipperID OAPermID IMO]\n{\n  \"bestMatchOnly\": true,\n  \"from
\": \"RIC\",\n  \"symbols\": [\n    \"LP60000008\"\n  ],\n  \"to\": [\n    \"LipperID\"\n  ]\n}","Id":""}
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

It sure looks like a bug in the Python library. I just tried the same request
get_symbology("LP60000008", from_symbol_type="RIC", to_symbol_type="lipperID"))
in R using eikonapir from GitHub, and it works just fine.

Great! So it is just a bug. Hope it can be fixed soon. Thank you for the quick response!

Upvote
79.1k 250 52 74

I got the following exception:

raise requests.HTTPError(error_message, response=server_response)
requests.exceptions.HTTPError: Can not process metadata for request: SymbologySe
arch.to - value doesn't fall in valid range: [RIC ISIN CUSIP SEDOL ticker lipper
ID OAPermID IMO]

However, refer to Eikon Python API guide, the possible values for from_symbol_type and to_symbol_type are 'CUSIP', 'ISIN', 'SEDOL', 'RIC', and 'ticker'.

icon clock
10 |1500

So the Error message showing "lipperID" is a valid option is a mistake and Lipper ID is not supported by this method? Hope someone can confirm that.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.