Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
31 0 1 2

HTTPError: 503 Service Unavailable: Trying to retrive news stories with Eikon Web and Scripting API

I am trying to retrieve news data with Eikon Web and Scripting API from Eikon Database.

The Headline retrieval works fine but if I try to get news texts I get the following:

21 for index, headline_row in headlines_summary.iterrows():
---> 22     story = ek.get_news_story(headline_row['storyId'])
     23     stories.append(story)
     24     sleep(0.1)

C:\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\eikon\news_request.py in get_news_story(story_id, raw_output, debug)
    161     app_id = eikon.get_app_id()
    162     payload = {'attributionCode': '', 'productName': app_id, 'storyId': story_id}
--> 163     json_data = eikon.json_requests.send_json_request(News_Story_UDF_endpoint, payload, debug=debug)
    165     if raw_output:

C:\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\eikon\json_requests.py in send_json_request(entity, payload, ID, debug)
     80             if response.status_code == 200:
     81                 result = response.json()
---> 82                 check_server_error(result)
     83                 return result
     84             if response.status_code == 401:

C:\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\eikon\json_requests.py in check_server_error(server_response)
    128         else:
    129             status_code = server_response['ErrorCode']
--> 130         raise requests.HTTPError(error_message, response=server_response)
    132     # check DataGrid error

HTTPError: 503 Service Unavailable

I tried to put in some sleeptime. Without success.

Is there a known solution for my problem?

Thanks in advance.

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apinewserror-503http-error
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Running into a similar issue here with Eikon package 0.1.9. This doesn't work:

headlines = eikon.get_news_headlines('R:TRI.TO', count=3)
for index, headline_row in headlines.iterrows():
    story = eikon.get_news_story(headline_row['storyId'])

It produces the following error:

KeyError: 'story'

Thanks for your fast reply.

Version is:

I get 288 successful queries. Number 289 throws the error:

HTTPError: 503 Service Unavailable

can you retrieve one headline manually? for instance,

html = tr.get_news_story('urn:newsml:reuters.com:20170524:nIFR1ZFCDP:1')

if yes, how may headlines do you retrieve before 503? Could you print out the index variable during the loop.

I get 288 successful queries. Number 289 throws the error.

also, could you please do

print(ek.__version__)

which version does it show?

Version: 0.1.9
Upvotes
Accepted
4.3k 2 4 5

Hi,

By design, News Service doesn't provide more than 100 headlines per request. and raises "HTTPError: 503 Service Unavailable" if count > 100

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
4.6k 26 7 22

@jakobyth, @Joris.Hoendervangers I have escalated this to the product management and will post here once the issue is identified.

On a separate note, the API is not intended for the bulk news story retrieval. Do you have a viable use case? Leave the comments to this answer with your ideas.

icon clock
10 |1500

The use case is to retrieve historical financial news on a certain topic and use them for sentiment analysis.

I tried unsuccessfully to export news from the Eikon Client. Had also no success with the Eikon Excel Plug-in.

Is there another way to get historical financial news?

While you can definitely use Eikon Scripting API for proof-of-concept work on low amounts of news articles, I suggest that you speak to your customer representative about either Thomson Reuters News Archive (TRNA) or Thomson Reuters Machine Readable News (MRN).

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.