Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
17k 80 39 63

get_timeseries returns unexpected number of rows for non-recorded data

When I perform the following query, which is asking for 3 days worth of data, I get back 1 row of data, which is likely due to the fact that the time series data for my request, i.e. the S&P 500 index (.SPX), starts as far back as Jan 3, 1928.

If I were to modify the end date by 1 day and choose Jan 2, 1928, I surprisingly get back 3000 rows of data. In addition, the timeframe for the data starts in the year 2005 which is clearly out of range:

I would expect the result to return zero rows. In general, it seems any request for timeseries data that is out of range returns very similar invalid results.

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apierrortime-series
img1.png (6.4 KiB)
img2.png (12.9 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
166 13 18 21

Hi Nick, I have also seen this behavior before. Using "invalid" parameters lets the API return the last 3000 points (which is also the limit). See also the first part of my question https://community.developers.refinitiv.com/questions/15616/eikon-scripting-api-issues-with-timeseries.html

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.