question

Upvotes
Accepted
68 3 7 10

ExtractionRequest

Hello everybody,

In ".Net SDK Tutorial 3 - GUI control calls - Lists reports schedules.pdf" I see in chapter 6 that the good order of operations is to create an instruments list, create a report template, create extracting schedules, and then get the extracted data.

Sorry if that sounds trivial, but I am hesitant about where the extractionRequest inserts itself in that chain.

For instance I have a TickHistoryIntradaySummariesExtractionRequest that tells the data I want to extract.

So, the instruments list is already included in it (I have an IdentifierList which except in case of error from my part represents the instruments list), I imagine I then have to create a schedule.

The schedule includes a ListId field, but I am not sure it is a good idea to try and send the id of the IdentifierList from the TickHistoryIntradaySummariesExtractionRequest, and anyway the other fields cannot be forgotten.

Well, it is simple : in the document I mentioned, I just searched "ExtractionRequest", and did not find it.

Must I refer to another documentation, or did I miss anything ?

tick-history-rest-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hi @Hubert CANEVET.

Thank you for your participation in the forum.

Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If so please can you click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Thanks

AHS

Well Wasin, there is already an accepted answer, isn't there ? Good thing, as I forgot a little the details of the question and answers.

Oh, sorry if I made that this morning ...

Upvotes
Accepted
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @Hubert CANEVET,

Perhaps this would help to further clarify On Demand vs Scheduled approaches, to be able to examine both types of request/response visually.

Have you had a chance to download and run the GUI client example

C# Example Application ?

The example has On Demand Extractions section as well as Schedule Example section, one would just run Authentication-> RequestToken first, and then trigger the requests of interests, and be able to examine both types of requests with the corresponding responses in detail, in HTTP tab on the right.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvote
11.3k 25 9 14

@Hubert CANEVET

There are two approaches for data extractions which cannot be mixed up.

- Scheduled extractions

Scheduled extractions use instrument lists, report templates and schedules that are stored on the server, and visible in the web GUI. You need to create instrument list, report template and schedule and then get extracted data from the server.

- On Demand extractions

On Demand extractions use simplified high level API calls that create extractions on the fly. They do not have their equivalent in the GUI. Instrument list and report template is not stored in the server. Instrument lists and field lists are passed as a parameter to the API call. Also, Report template are passed as Extraction Request to the same API call.

The ".Net SDK Tutorial 3 - GUI control calls - Lists reports schedules" tutorial is about the Scheduled extractions, so there is no information related to On Demand extractions such as Extraction Request in this tutorial. For On Demand extractions, please see this ".Net SDK Tutorial 5: On Demand extraction, file IO" tutorial. There is another example code in the "C# Example Application" which can be downloaded from this page.

For more information about the difference between the extraction approaches, please see this tutorial.

Hope this helps.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
68 3 7 10

Hello,

Well yes thank you, but TickHistoryIntradaySummariesExtractionRequest can only be called asynchronously, so it must be scheduled.

_

Oh, I realize what you mean : I mentioned a documentation for OnDemand extractions.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
68 3 7 10

Well, I should like to ask another question : did you test the code that is given in the demo application ?

When I say that "TickHistoryIntradaySummariesExtractionRequest can only be called asynchronously, so it must be scheduled", it is because it has been confirmed to me by Thomson Reuters, after I noticed that the proposed code returned hyeroglyphs, that is was not a question of characters set, and that some other examples that were sent to me stated an async call.

icon clock
10 |1500

In fact a comment in the code is of interest :

//Extract - NOTE: If the extraction request takes more than 30 seconds the async mechansim will be used. See Key Mechanisms

Upvotes
68 3 7 10

Hello, thank you for your answer.

I just looked at the page "Schedule Extractions - Immediate" in the example application. The proposed code does not contain "ExtractionRequest". So, maybe I do not need it.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.