question

Upvotes
Accepted
5 2 3 6

Receiving Service Directory UPDATE_RESP messages at regular intervals with no State informaion.

Even though the application has successfully completed Login, Service Directory and Dictionary phases rfa_logging reveals a number of UPDATE_RESP for Directory event messages where the State and AcceptingRequests are Empty. I have read the other ticket that mentions that these messages are because the application has not subscribed to that service and that's why RFA strips out the state and AcceptingReq section before sending the update_resp to the application, but our application is connected to that Service. What is the significance of these messages?

<record>
<date>2017-08-09T02:45:51</date>
<millis>1502261151957</millis>
<sequence>253</sequence>
<logger>com.reuters.rsslc.13</logger>
<level>FINER</level>
<class>com.reuters.ipc.TraceLogger</class>
<method>traceData</method>
<thread>37</thread>
<message>
Thread: RFA_SESSION_ALL Session EventQueueGroup
Connection 13
RSSL Client Message
RECEIVE: 214
---DATA TRACE---
Msg Model Type: DIRECTORY
Indication Flags: DO_NOT_CONFLATE
Hint Flags: HAS_RESP_TYPE_NUM
Stream Id: 2
RespTypeNum: 0 Payload: 202 bytes
MAP
MAP_ENTRY (Action.UPDATE) :
Key: 265
Value:
FILTER_LIST
FILTER_ENTRY 1 (Action.SET) :
ELEMENT_LIST
ELEMENT_ENTRY Name: TR_OPT
ELEMENT_ENTRY SupportsQoSRange: 0
ELEMENT_ENTRY Capabilities:
ARRAY
ARRAY_ENTRY: 5
ARRAY_ENTRY: 6
ARRAY_ENTRY: 10
ELEMENT_ENTRY QoS:
ARRAY
ARRAY_ENTRY: (RT, TbT)
ELEMENT_ENTRY DictionariesProvided:
ARRAY
ARRAY_ENTRY: RWFFld
ARRAY_ENTRY: RWFEnum
ELEMENT_ENTRY DictionariesUsed:
ARRAY
ELEMENT_ENTRY hashIDs:
ARRAY
ELEMENT_ENTRY ddnHashEntries: 0
</message>
</record>

treprfarfa-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hi @mangesh,

Can you provide a link to "the other ticket"?

thanks.

Monitored by @Wasin Waeosri

@mangesh

Do you have a chance to collect the network capture file and snippet code requested by Wasin?

Hello @mangesh,

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

AHS

Hello @mangesh,

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

-AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
24.6k 54 17 14

Hello @robert_hau @mangesh

Based on the given information, the TREP infrastructure is the one who sends these Directory Update messages to the API. I suggest you contact the ADS support team who specialize in ADS and TREP infrastructure to verify this TREP behavior.

You can submit the ADS support ticket to their team via the https://my.thomsonreuters.com/ContactUsNew link, then select "ADS - Advanced Distribution Server" in the product section as shown below.

ads-ticket.png (24.7 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
5 2 3 6

Hi Nick,

Here are the two I have read recently -

check the status of service --

https://community.developers.refinitiv.com/questions/6611/how-to-check-the-status-of-service-from-which-i-am.html

What does an update directory message containing an empty map entry mean?

https://community.developers.refinitiv.com/questions/14193/what-does-an-update-directory-message-containing-a.html

icon clock
10 |1500

2017-08-14-updateresp.pdf2017-08-14-refreshresp.pdfHi Nick,

Here is the Refresh when the initial Login/Directory/Dictionary happened. The other screenshot is the UPDATE_RESP. Does TREP push down updates to Dictionaries on the ADS from their end ?

Hi @mangesh,

I don't see the directory refresh message, just a login refresh and what appears to be the directory update you originally posted.

Upvotes
17.1k 80 39 63

Thanks @mangesh,

In general, when any attribute of a service changes, you will receive an update for that service. It is quite possible that the state information for that service did not change, which would explain why you didn't see any update for that attribute. You will need to look at the initial directory image you received when you logged in and look at the directory update messages to see which attribute changed.

Looking at your output, I can see some updates to TR_OPT related to Dictionaries. You may need to look at the history from when you first received the initial image to the latest to determine what specifically changed in the backend.

Note: It would be easier to view the output if you place it within a code block or capture the output in an image.

thanks,

Nick

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
17.1k 80 39 63

Hi @mangesh,

TREP does not send updates on dictionary streams. However, you will be notified if the dictionary version changes as documented within the RDM guide, Dictionary domain - usage section:

Though updates are not sent on dictionary streams, Thomson Reuters recommends that the consumer make a “streaming request” (setting OMMMsg.Indication.REFRESH) so that it is notified whenever the dictionary version changes

However, this is not related to your original question regarding directories. Because I can't see the original directory refresh nor the complete history of all the updates, I can't say for sure whether the updates are related to your dictionary or not. For now, you will need to compare what you see different between the history of updates to gain a clear understanding what has changed.

icon clock
10 |1500

Hi Nick,

I was asking about dictionaries because of your earlier comment -

"Looking at your output, I can see some updates to TR_OPT related to Dictionaries."

The question is primarily about Directory Updates. If I am logged into that Service, then I should get the updates if there are any. I don't see any updates in the update_resp and neither do I see StreamState and AcceptingRequests map entries.

Are you expecting to see an update to the streamstate and AcceptingRequests properties? That is, has the state of the service changed in the backend? Are you able to ask your market data team if anything has changed? Were there any operational updates or did they encounter a change in the service from their end? Etc.

Hi Nick,

I am not expecting any updates since there was no change scheduled for the services that the application had connected to. The Marketdata team confirmed that. The question I had was if nothing changed, why the update message? And, even if there was an update message, why doesn't it have the Service State and AcceptRequest sections?

The reason the Service Sate and Acceptingrequest properties were not,sent, were likely because they didn't change. However, I will need to confirm with our market data team here to better understand why the other sections were sent when they didn't appear to,change.

Upvotes
5 2 3 6

2017-08-14-refreshrespdirectory.pdf

Here is the directory Refresh_Resp

icon clock
10 |1500

Thanks @mangesh,

I don't really see a difference between the update contents when comparing to the same section within the refresh. You mentioned in your original question that you receive a number of UPDATE_RESP - how many and how frequent? Do they all look the same?

Hi @mangesh,

Not sure if you saw the above question - were you able to get more details?

Nick

I got about 40 UPDATE_RESP today for that service

Show more comments

Yes, they did.

Upvote
17.1k 80 39 63

Hi @mangesh,

You will need to work with your market data team to determine why the backend (ADS/ADH) is generating so many source directory events and what they are. In doing some further testing with our local market data setup, I initially suspected that you may be receiving events for other services you are not interested in. In general, you should not receive any Map information about services you are not interested in. However, I did discover through testing that you will receive service events that contain only header information - nothing else unless the event is related to your service of interest. What you are seeing is odd.

I would try the following troubleshooting tests.

• See if you can get more details about *all* directory events generated.

RFA performs the actual request on the network to receive *all* service information and simply filters those events to you based on your registered interest. Too see *all* directory events, you can turn tracing on within your config. You do this by specifying the following configuration:

<node name="yourConnection"> 
   <map> 
	<entry key="connectionType" value="RSSL"/>
	<entry key="traceMsgDomains" value="DIRECTORY"/> 
	<entry key="ipcTraceFlags" value="7"/> 
   </map> 
</node> 

This will dump all directory-related activity to the default file: RFA_RSSL%u.log.

• Try running one of the RFA samples to ensure the same events are being generated

You can try one of the RFA Java tutorials as a simple test. I would suggest using Tutorial_08 from the downloaded package.

• Have your market data team monitor source directory events

The ADS is most likely just passing them through and they are coming from the ADH. In the ADH you can monitor for the number of those Source Directory messages via the “adh_mon” command. On a per channel basis there is a statistic named:

sourceMessages - Count of source directory messages received for this session (RSSL only).

Here is a snapshot of one of our services and that statistic:

To get to the above screen, run “adh_mon” and then choose Source Routes and Application proxies:

Then choose the channel (route) associated with the service in question, hit return and you will see the screen with the statistics.

Receiving 40 source directory updates that contain the same thing is not normal. Hopefully the above will narrow down what they are, where and why they are happening.

scr1.png (39.6 KiB)
scr2.png (11.1 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
24.6k 54 17 14

Hello @mangesh

Does the problem still occur in your environment? If so , could you please give us network capture file on the RSSL port from the application machine when the problem occurs? The network capture file will let us verify the incoming raw directory update messages from the ADS server.

If the application is on Linux OS, you can use the following command to capture network

tcpdump -i <interface> 'port <rssl port number>' -s 65535 -w <save file.pcap>

Please also give us the RSSL port number that the application is using.

Does the application manual request Service Directory via the API? If so, please give us a snippet code of the application can request Service Directory? We would like to check if the application set any filters or not.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
24.6k 54 17 14

Hello @mangesh

I have tested the Source Directory request filter in my environment. If I subscribe only

RDMService.Filter.INFO, the application receives the directory update with empty

State and AcceptingRequests even that service is changed.

Could you please give me the network capture file on the RSSL port and a snippet code of the application that crate the Service Directory request message?

My Source Directory update is following:

LoginClient: Received DIRECTORY Response - MsgType.UPDATE_RESP
    Msg Model Type: DIRECTORY
    Indication Flags: DO_NOT_CONFLATE
    Hint Flags: HAS_ATTRIB_INFO | HAS_RESP_TYPE_NUM
    RespTypeNum: 0    AttribInfo
        Name: DIRECT_FEED
        Filter: 1 (INFO)
    Payload: 212 bytes
        MAP
        flags: 
            MAP_ENTRY (Action.UPDATE) : 
            flags: 
            Key: DIRECT_FEED
            Value: 
                FILTER_LIST
                flags: 
                    FILTER_ENTRY 1 (Action.SET) : 
                    flags: 
                        ELEMENT_LIST
                            ELEMENT_ENTRY Name: DIRECT_FEED
                            ELEMENT_ENTRY SupportsQoSRange: 0
                            ELEMENT_ENTRY Capabilities: 
                                ARRAY
                                    ARRAY_ENTRY: 5
                                    ARRAY_ENTRY: 6
                                    ARRAY_ENTRY: 10
                            ELEMENT_ENTRY QoS: 
                                ARRAY
                                    ARRAY_ENTRY: (RT, TbT)
                            ELEMENT_ENTRY DictionariesProvided: 
                                ARRAY
                            ELEMENT_ENTRY DictionariesUsed: 
                                ARRAY
                            ELEMENT_ENTRY Vendor: Reuters
                            ELEMENT_ENTRY IsSource: 0
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
5 2 3 6

Hi @Wasin

Here is the update message I received this morning -

vfyd4.png (25.0 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
5 2 3 6

Hi @Wasin,

Our Directory request code snippet -

vfvnz.png (10.1 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
24.6k 54 17 14

Hello @mangesh

Thank you for the information. The given incoming DIRECTORY Update message shows that ADS is the one who sends this non-state directory update to the API.

The application subscribes DIRECTORY interest spec with filter "Info" or "State", it means ADS will send update for the "Service Info changed" or "Service State changed" event to the API. Cold you please give us the DIRECTORY Refresh message trace log? If the Service Info does not change, you need to contact the TREP support team to help you verify why ADS sends the DIRECTORY Update message to the consumer.

icon clock
10 |1500

Hi @Wasin,

I went through the ADH monitor for the specific service TR_OPT and in our current configuration we are subscribing to the feed via SSL not RSSL. I see this on ADH 2.4 in Production / QA and 2.6 in DEV.

I suspect if we changed our connection to RSSL that might have that parameter be visible.

Is there a specific spot we can check for SSL based connections.

Thanks Robert.

Upvotes
5 2 3 6

Hi @Wasin,

Here is the Directory Refresh message -

Does the ADS send the update based on some event happening upstream(ADH and/or Edge) ? For an ADS, would a change in Service Info would be something happening on the ADH ?

lsnkf.png (27.2 KiB)
hpubg.png (35.6 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.