For a deeper look into our Elektron API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 2 3 2

EMS Feed - Elektron hosted feed - RIC Usage

Hello,

We have an EMS Feed with Thomson Reuters - Elektron Hosted Feed.

I am trying to figure out if there is a method called GetRICList that can be run in real-time whose results can be downloaded and viewed easily.

Is there such a command through the API/anywhere to do this per RICS we send out on our own feed that is identified by a DACS ID.

elektronrefinitiv-realtimeelektron-sdkricsusage
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@rpeled

Thank you for your participation in the forum.

Are any of the replies below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the most appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

AHS

@rpeled
Thank you for your participation in the forum.

Are any of the replies below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the most appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

-AHS

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.
Thanks,
AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
476 6 16 18

EMS provides a defined set of management capabilities. There is no API method to query your cache utilization or cache contents across multiple connected clients. One way to do this would be for the application to keep a log as the application obviously knows what is in its own subscription list. You can determine the size of your cache and percent utilization through the EMS InXite report. On an occasional basis you could submit a request through your Thomson Reuters account team for a cache contents list, but this is not automated or available through an API. You can have access to a more extensive set of management and reporting capabilities by purchasing the customer-managed product DACS, which is not part of the EMS service.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
1 2 3 2

In other words, how do i get the "watch list"

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
78.8k 249 52 74

EMS doesn't have a symbol list RIC that provides set of accessible items for a DACS ID. For more information, please refer to this question.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 2 3 2

Nope, absolutely not helpful. I am asking per RICS we have requested...is there a programmatic way (an API method) to extract the watch list from you.

Surely, there must be a way to extract usage statistics.

Ronen

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
4.4k 10 6 9

@rpeled

I am afraid it is not possible to extract user's usage statistics in real-time.

DACS server has Usage Report that can list who used what data, when, but it cannot generate the report in real-time and it is not accessible by EMA.

However, what you can request in real-time is a list of all active items within the server, which is a cache watch list rather than user specific watch list.

This is done by sending SymbolList request using _SERVER_LIST as the name. The service will return a list of all servers and their provided domains in the format of _CACHE_LIST.serverId.domain.

From that list, you can then spawn off individual SymbolList requests for the active item list from servers and domains of interest.
For example, here is what you get from requesting active item list from server id 275 and Market Price domain.

You can check Consumer example 270_SymbolList for the basic usage of SymbolList request.

serverlist.png (16.7 KiB)
cachelist.png (22.8 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 2 3 2

Hi Warat,

This is better. Our real-time feed is being consumed by a 3rd party application. I need your help kindly to tell my development team who owns the 3rd party application how to do this.

We have a DACS ID - i don't want to disclose it here, could you perhaps call me off line.

Basically, i want to get the cache list.

For the cache list, is that unique per day?

In other words, let's say I don't send you a RIC from the 3rd party application (IE: position is closed out - we don't send you inactive RICS).

Will that cache list be distinct to what we are sending you on a daily basis?

My # is 646-616-2144

Please kindly call me.

Warat - do you work at TR?

Ronen

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 2 3 2

Warat, just to be clear - i looked at the example, at least I think i looked at it, not sure where to find it, but I do not want to know all the possible RICS I can subscribe to.

I am looking for what we only requested - a tangible amount - i estimate probably 100-200 RICS we request daily maximum.

I am not looking for the superset of RICS that TR has...i need to know our usage.

What programmatic commands support getting from the DACS server the actual usage of the day.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @rpeled,

DACS (Data Access Control System) is intended to control and track data entitlements and data usage. DACS Report, as Warat has described, is the way to understand what RICs are being subscribed by what DACS IDs, to understand your usage.

This recommended approach does not require programming. The command to generate the report is run by your DACS administrator, via DACS administrator interface. If you do not directly administer your access (EMS), please open a service request via My Account, explain that you are looking to receive a DACS usage report, and provide your permissioned DACS ID(s).

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 2 3 2

Hi Zoya, still confused.

So our EMS Feed Is hosted by TR. In other words, if we want to turn on an entitlement, PDP code, it is turned on or off by your team. Your offshore team in India then permissions us accordingly.

What is the DACS Administrator interface and do you need TREP for this. We are not a TREP client.

I am not looking for DACS usage. I am looking for RIC usage, the watch-list of what RICS we have sent you per the day.

Ronen

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @rpeled,

As you are not a TREP customer, you do not administer your TR infrastructure. You are an EMS customer, you are able to submit a request to TR to generate the usage report for you, via Contact Us.

Your request for the usage report will include your user credential(s) and TR EMS administration team will be able to handle the logistics of retrieving the report.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 2 3 2

I am looking for a programmatic way from our end given our EMS team is not interested in providing me.

Surely, there must be a programmatic way to get our usage even if we are not a TREP customer.

Please be transparent and honest around the programmatic capabilities your product has. We want our usage on a daily basis without having to ask TR EMS Team who won't give it to us.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 20

There are two ways that your organization can get the information you are looking for:

• Request a usage report from EMS support team
  • Request the subscribing application(s) to log usage and collect this information from the subscribing application
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 2 3 2

Now we are talking....how do we do such logging. Is there a setting from within the Real-time feed infrastructure of TR / some programmatic way of logging the usage.

Is there a log file that can be exported from TR?

How would such logging be done?

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 20

How to implement logging would be entirely up to the developer of custom subscriber application, as this tracking of usage is not done using our APIs.

As mentioned before, on our side we keep track of usage info in DACS, and have an option of retrieving it via reports, with the help of EMS support, not via API.

If you conclude that your organization requires a deeper, more immediate and perhaps custom access to the usage information contained within entitlement system, you could discuss migrating to deployed infrastructure with your account management team.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.