question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 0 1 2

RFA GCC support - current version of gcc is 7.2, any plans to support versions higher than 4.x.x?

treprfarfa-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
4.4k 10 6 9
@boris

We only support the compiler that was native with the installation of the OS. And currently, there is no plan to support the non-native GCC compiler.

But please note that with newer versions of the compilers we rely upon the compiler vendor to assure compatibility with previous versions of the compiler. So as long as Oracle or RedHat are stating compatibility with previous compiler versions, you should be able to use them.

The only caveat for compiler support is that if a newer version of the compiler experience a problem, the same problem needs to be reproducible in the natively build compiler version for support.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
1 0 1 2

I think GCC stated that major version changes are not ABI comparable. It has very little to do with OS!!! Given how different gcc 4.x and 5, 6 and 7 are and version 8 is coming and 4.9.4 was released more then a year ago - I think Reuters has to be able to say something more specific...

C libs are very different this way... Just in case :)

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 0 0 0

Same problem for us.

I can understand that you want to limit the number of os/toolchains combinations to vendor supported ones. I think you should know that redhat provides supported & updated compilers through its developper toolset software collections.

Right now, we are using gcc-5.3.1 (devtoolset-4) with redhat6. Redhat did a great job to ensure that a binary compiled with gcc-5.3 will run on any redhat6 platform even if the developper toolset is not available on the target platform.

But you can still have problems if you run a program compiled with gcc-5.3 in c++14 mode and link it with a library compiled with gcc-4.4 (without any c++14 support obviously). This is exactly the case with rfa.

Right now, using rfa means staying legacy if we are using redhat. Developers do not like legacy.

Please, can you forward to management our request to support other compilers ?

Kind regards,

Julien Lafaye

Project Leader

Capital Fund Management

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 0 1 2

Julien, any experience with UPA - looks like pure C library and therefore might work...

Might not be an option after investing in RFA but out of curiosity...

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.