question

Upvotes
Accepted
3 0 1 2

EIKON Support with ASP.Net

Hello Team,

I am new to EIKON API.

1. I want to confirm if EIKON .Net API can be used with ASP.Net application.
2. What would be the reuqired assemblies or dlls to start with.
3. Does the .Net api with ASP.Net requires EIKON Desktop application to be installed.
4. Can EIKON connection initiated in silent mode (Without showing any dialog box) i.e. pick the embedded encrypted credentials.

Thanks for your help. Look forward to an early response.

Regards,
Deepankar Datta

eikoneikon-com-api.net
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

@deepankar.datta
App Studio program described here is a closed program. It is only available to members. If you were a member of the program you would know it. Also a Thomson Reuters resource would have been assigned to work with you directly. If you don't know if you're a member of App Studio program, then you're not.
What is available to you then is what's available to all Eikon users: a suite of APIs labeled on this portal as Eikon APIs. If you're prompted to sign in when you browse the documentation, tutorials and code samples for Eikon APIs you can obtain the sign in credentials by self-registering on this portal. The only requirement is a valid email address.

Every Eikon user is entitled to utilize any of the APIs falling under Eikon APIs family. Any Eikon user is entitled to create applications utilizing Eikon APIs. Data usage rights, i.e. what you can and cannot do with the data retrieved from Eikon (no matter whether the data is retrieved through Eikon application GUI, Excel or any of Eikon APIs) are governed by the contract between your company and Thomson Reuters. Under standard terms of contract any data retrieved from Eikon may only be utilized for "the user's individual use". However your company may have contractual arrangements with Thomson Reuters that permit other use of data retrieved from Eikon. To find out whether you're already licensed to utilize the data retrieved from Eikon in the manner you intend to use it, or what would be required to get you licensed, you need to contact either your company Market Data department or your Thomson Reuters account manager.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
78.2k 246 52 72
@deepankar.datta

1. Yes, you can but it may violate the contract. Please refer to this question. You should contact your Thomson Reuters' account team for confirmation.

Please also be advised that the data usage rights that come with Eikon only permit the usage of data retrieved from Eikon "for the user's individual use". If you're using data retrieved from Eikon in a Web server application, and you're only licensed for Eikon, you may be in violation of your contract with Thomson Reuters.

2. Yes, it requires ThomsonReuters.Desktop.SDK.DataAccess.Signed assembly from nuget. For more information, please refer to Data API - Overview and installation.

PM> Install-Package ThomsonReuters.Desktop.SDK.DataAccess.Signed

3. Yes. To use Eikon .NET SDK, Eikon must be installed and running on the same machine.

4. You can use "Sign me in automatically" checkbox to avoid the login dialog box as mentioned in this question.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
3 0 1 2

Thanks for your response. However, I am still in doubt about the things. As I am unable to access lot of details as it asks for a member login for the API family, I highlight my points.

Licensing:

• For using EIKON with a web application, do we need an Individual license or is there a concept of Multi User license.
  • In case we have Multi User license, do we still need to install 'EIKON' on each machines while working on the web application. Let say if we have 100 users accessing the web application, do we need EIKON for each of their machine to be installed.

Assemblies:

• Are the SDKs for Desktop and Web applications same.
  • To confirm again, are the Web SDKs usage dependent on the EIKON desktop application.

My apologies if I am repeating my queries. But I am analyzing the scenarios and trying to provide feasibility report to the concerned stakeholders.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Deepankar Datta

icon clock
10 |1500

I can answer the questions regarding Assemblies. For licensing questions, you should directly contact your Thomson Reuters' account team.

SDKs for Desktop and Web applications are different.

• App Studio - Web SDK is for building App Studio applications using HTML5 and Javascript technologies
  • App Studio - .NET SDK is for building desktop based application written in C# and delivered in .NET/WPF technology

Yes, the Web SDK app is dependent on Eikon. It needs Eikon Chromium Web Browser to run the application.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.