Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
5 4 3 5

Interaction between API python and Eikon app

Hi everyone,

I am quite new with the api and I am trying to do a responsive table which displays news :

For that I fill a panda dataframe with the result of get_news_headlines()

df_news = pd.DataFrame(
ek.get_news_headlines(
ric_value, date_from=start_date,
date_to=end_date,
count=100))

Then I would like to display the content of the dataframe into an html table (no problem with that) but then I would like that when user clicks on the news in the table thus EIKON opens the corresponding news page in Eikon (if the user is connected of course).

Do U know if it is possible?

thank you for your help,

regards,

Iris

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apinewsinteractive-provider
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

It is possible. You need to construct the link for each story using the following syntax:

'reuters://realtime/verb=NewsStory/ric=' + storyID.split(':')[4]

where storyID is the string returned into storyId column by get_news_headlines method.

E.g. reuters://realtime/verb=NewsStory/ric=nNRA4ljo86

However I'm curious what might be the point of this exercise as the News Monitor app in Eikon already provides the capability to retrieve news headlines and stories?

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thank you very much for your help. It is actually working well!

But, I have now another issue : to open the url of the news in Eikon Core I have to be connected to the app (obvious) but when I sign in then I am disconnected from the API Proxy... It appears that I can be connected to the API Proxy and to the App Eikon core in the same time.

How can I fix that?

Unfortunately there's nothing you can do about this right now until we make Eikon APIs Proxy reside within Eikon application. There's no official ETA for this yet, though personally I expect it before the end of the year. Until then I surmise this deficiency makes the whole premise a moot point.

Upvotes
434 1 2 2

hi Lucas. The response already comes in a dataframe. There is no need to do pd.dataframe().

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
434 1 2 2

For the rest of your question - you need to do a bit of UI tooling - are you doing this on Jupiter?

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.