Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 1 0 3

Access to wire (JSON) API -- I'd like to use Java instead of Python

Hello,

The Eikon Web& Scripting API looks very nice and I'd like to use it. However, I'm not too keen on Python as I do all my code in Java.

Is there any chance of getting access to the JSON API underneath? I thought about placing a logging proxy between the python code and the "Web Proxy," but since that would require changing port numbers in the python library, and some trial and error, I figured that I'd try the front door and ask first :)

API wise, I'm looking to download historical time series data -- for example, the daily closing value of the VIX index.

I can certainly contribute any Java library that I come up with to a Git project (Eikon Web Scripting Java API Project) if you guys set one up. I'm not looking to be a maintainer or anything like that, just hoping to be selfish in the sense that it would be less work for me if your eventual Java API ends up similar to what I come up with :)

Thanks,

--Maciej

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apiapijson
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello @maciej.zawadzki,

Depending on your use case, we may have products that may be better suited for what you are looking to do. When you mention historical time series, Tick History -> REST API can be referenced from Java, and depending on the breadth and width of your need for historical data, may be worth taking a look into. Would it make sense to get in touch with your Thomson Reuters account management team to discuss?

Thanks Zoya. Is it a Rest API for Eikon or DataStream? I've found the DS Rest API, but I could not login using my Eikon credentials. Thanks.

This API is to work with a different product, Tick History, that is designed to store and access historical data. Eikon credentials will not work.

@maciej.zawadzki
Thank you for your participation in the forum.
Is any of the replies below satisfactory in resolving your query? If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.
Thanks,
-AHS

Hello @maciej.zawadzki
Thank you for your participation in the forum.
Is any of the replies below satisfactory in resolving your query? If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.
Thanks,
AHS

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
Accepted
4.6k 26 7 22

We do not provide access to this at the moment, however, it will change as we launch the production version of the Scripting Proxy, since the wire API can change.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.