question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 1 1 2

I'm missing umlauts

I noticed that there are no German umlauts in any of the company names or addresses in the PermID organizations database. For example "Bank Julius Baer & Co AG" instead of "Bank Julius Bär & Co AG".

It seems that there is some kind of normalization in place to "translate" ae to ä, oe to ö and so forth.

This is quite general though and leads to errors. "Isräl" for example should not find me companies with "israel" in the name.

Is it planned to NOT remove the umlauts that probably are in the original source in the first place? Or is there some other - more elegant - workaround that I can't think of?

Many thanks.

permid-apiintelligent-tagging-apiopen-permid-apicompany
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Escalated this question to CLFHelpDesk@thomsonreuters.com and c.c.Tsafi Tsar in the loop.

Contacted CLFHelpDesk@thomsonreuters.com and c.c.Tsafi Tsar for the answer.

Hello @fe.be,

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

AHS

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

-AHS

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
Accepted
76 2 2 1

Hi @fe.be,

Apologies for the slow reply.

In line with other Thomson Reuters products, Open PermID presents the organization name in a normalized form, with the aim of providing consistent casing, punctuation, legal endings and character set. As part of this, characters with umlauts and other diacritics are transliterated as described. This may, on occasion, mean that these companies may additionally be retrieved in search results (as in the Isräl - Israel illustration - although there are no actual cases of this). We have no plans to expose the raw, as-reported Legal name at this time.

Regards,

Matan Gafni

(TMS Content & Support Team)

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.