Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
33 0 1 5

Python Eikon Api: best practice for app id

Hello,

I'm just starting to play with this API and I wonder if there is a best practice guide for app id...

Let's say I have two scripts that do different things, should I get an app id for each one?

Thank you

EDITED: some typos

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvote
Accepted
4.6k 26 7 22

An app id per each app/script is the best way to go.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Can you explain why? Can I download information faster when I import with two separate id's? Is there any information on how to best use the id's?

@sim19, since the API is in the beta stage there are no exact guidelines on this shared by Thomson Reuters.

However, if you use a single app id for multiple applications and, say, one of the app ids get disabled, all of your applications will stop working.

As for your questions, no, the download speed will be exactly the same.

The sole purpose of an app id is to identify application that consumes data from Eikon. If Thomson Reuters will notice an abnormal or abusive data consumption pattern, they may reach out to you. Having a separate app id for each application will help identify the one that is misbehaving, hence the recommendation.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.