For a deeper look into our DataScope Select REST API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials

question

Upvotes
Accepted
5 2 1 4

Why do I get a null RIC returned?

Hello

A fairly basic question probably but I have just started using the API. In some cases I get a null value for RIC when extracting Terms and Conditions. e.g. SEDOL "7657904" is requested. Are there any rules on when a RIC might be null?

Thanks

Neil

dss-rest-apidatascope-selectdssrics
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
13.7k 26 8 12

Answer part 2 (only 2 images are allowed per answer, sorry):

@neil.gallagher,

Clicking on More Results delivers another contributed RIC, XS0174443449=JPML:

So, using Eikon we found a delisted equity, and an active government bond.

Why were these RICs not returned by your T&C request ?

I am not a data expert, but as far as I know, a T&C request will not return a delisted RIC. Even though DSS is not a historically oriented product like TRTH, some calls will return historical RICs, if you add the following options to the IdentifierList in the T&C query:

"ValidationOptions": { "AllowHistoricalInstruments": true },
"UseUserPreferencesForValidationOptions": false

But for this particular Sedol and request it will not deliver more results.

Note: allowing historical instruments can also be set by default in the user preferences.

Absence of results could also be due to data coverage.

You can check the data coverage in the Data Content Guide. In tab Field Descriptions, filter the data to display in column C only the Report template Terms and Conditions, and in column D the Field Name RIC. Then scroll to the right to see the data coverage per asset class (y indicates coverage, n is for absence of coverage). Again, not being a data expert I'm not sure where this particular government bond (which is an FRN (floating rate note)) fits in, maybe it will be obvious to you.

To conclude: I'm not sure why this particular government bond was not returned. Maybe it is because it is contributed data, or because this type of instrument is not covered. If you want to check this in more detail, the best and speediest way to receive an answer is to open a content-related enquiry via My Account or to call the Thomson Reuters Help Desk directly.

I hope this helps.

coverage.png (42.6 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
13.7k 26 8 12

Answer part 1:

@neil.gallagher, if a value is returned null, it means this particular piece of information is not in our databases.

To understand why you did not get a RIC for this instrument I started by using Eikon. I took the ISIN (XS0174443449) returned by the T&C call you made, and tried to retrieve it in Eikon (this trick will not work with the Sedol, but might with the ISIN (if it is similar to the RIC which can be the case, so it is worth a try)). Result:

This RIC XS0174443449=BCPL^J05 is:

• An equity (EQ in the grey box)
  • A contributed RIC (=BCPL tells us that)
  • A delisted RIC (the syntax (with a ^) is for a delisted RIC).

Going to more search results we get:

icon clock
10 |1500

Many thanks for the reply. Is there a reason I didnt get the delisted RIC back in the T&C request? I am trying to keep track of instrument changes and was hoping to use the RIC for that. If there is no RIC I cant tell if its been delisted or ther is some other reason.

@neil.gallagher, do you have DSS or TRTH ? I ask, because the TRTH product would allow you to do a historical search that would deliver all RICs for your Sedol, which might help.

By the way, you might also be interested in this article on ISIN to RIC conversion (it also applies to Sedol).

We have DSS. I've not used TRTH. I take it we would need to purchase that as a separate product. Is it the same API for TRTH as for DSS? Thanks again

@neil.gallagher, yes, DSS and TRTH are separate billable products. The API is very similar, we use the same servers; some API calls are common, others are different. Permissioning regulates your access to the calls, if you don't have TRTH you cannot do a historical search.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.