For a deeper look into our Elektron API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
19 7 10 9

EMA returns data with extra spaces compared to RFA. Is it expected?

EMA returns data with extra spaces compared to RFA. Is it expected? For e.g.

For a DATE value RFA gives "30 APR 2018" where as EMA gives "30 APR 2018 ".

elektronrefinitiv-realtimeelektron-sdk
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Java or C++ ?

Java Only. Thanks

Hello @gaurav.mahajan

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If so please can you click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Thanks,

AHS

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

-AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
1.5k 5 6 7

As far as I can tell from GitHub the bug in toString() for DATE type was fixed on 20-Dec-2017. The last release that had this bug was 1.1.1 so anything later than that should be okay. When you upgrade, remember that all Elektron Java APIs were released on Maven Central a few days ago so much easier to use that going forward in my opinion.

As for fields of type RMTES_STRING or ASCII_STRING the trailing spaces may indeed be intentional, for example for a FX Spot RIC "EUR=", I get :

Fid: 831 Name: CTBTR_1 value: "BARCLAYS  "

Such trailing spaces will exist in both RFA and ETA/EMA as they are from the wire value, meaning the source is actually publishing the data like that.

However, for a field like ISIN_CODE it does seem a bit weird if it would have a trailing space.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvote
17.3k 82 39 63

Hi @gaurav.mahajan,

I was able to confirm that the underlying FieldEntry toString() within EMA Java does contain a trailing space for Dates. However, when decoding you can pull out the parts of the date field and output to any format you prefer.

I will make the development team aware of the trailing space.

thanks.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
19 7 10 9

Hi @nick.zincone.1,

Thank You Nick!

It is not just with Date Field but with other FIDs also. We noticed one with "ISIN_CODE" also as of now. Please share your thoughts on the same as well.

Thanks and Regards,

Gaurav Mahajan

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
19 7 10 9

@Lars-at-Addicticks and @nick.zincone.1,

Thank You Both!

Shall we consider the trailing space for field like ISIN_CODE as a scope for EMA enhancement in future release?

icon clock
10 |1500

Hi @gaurav.mahajan,

I don't see a trailing space for the ISIN_CODE for the symbol VOD.L. See attached. This tells me that if you do, it is likely coming from the source.

ahs.png (118.5 KiB)

Thanks @nick.zincone.1! Let me double check this.

Can you find anything suspicious regarding this issue?

Upvotes
19 7 10 9

Team, We have noticed difference in time values, RFA used to return "20:12:27" whereas EMA returns "20:12:27:000:000:000". Not sure if this was intentional or not ?

icon clock
10 |1500

Hello @gaurav.mahajan

This question differs from the original question,"EMA returns data with extra spaces compared to RFA. Is it expected?" on this page. Please post it as a new question(new page) so everyone including someone who knows the answer and can help you can see this question.This also helps the others who has the same question can find it as well.

Thank you in advance.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.