Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 1 0 2

How do I get test APIs for Eikon

My database is currently being built. I would like to test if I can extract company API data from Reuters. I need a sample to test.

Can I get for sample for HSBC (UK listed bank- Ticker: HSBA.L)

I would like the following fields for HSBC

Company name

Country of headquarters

ticker

Company shares in issue

volume (daily)

PE

Dividend yield

Fiscal year end

Business description

Free float

Company market cap

GICS sector name

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query? If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question. Thanks, AHS

@avien.pillay

Hello,

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

AHS

@avien.pillay

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

@avien.pillay
Please see the Quick Start guide for setting up your development environment and to start using the API. And see this tutorial to learn about metadata discovery (how to find field names and parameters you need to use to extract specific data items).
I checked your Eikon account and noticed that you currently subscribe to the most basic variant of Eikon known as Eikon Core. This variant of Eikon does not include access to Eikon Data APIs. In order to use Eikon Data APIs you need a higher tier variant of Eikon. And if you're looking to populate a master security or any other enterprise database that is utilized by multi user or any kind of enterprise applications, then Eikon is the wrong product for you. Eikon is an end user product. With Eikon you're licensed to utilize any data you retrieve for user's individual use only. If you're looking to distribute Thomson Reuters data through an in-house database to multi user or enterprise applications, then you need to consider one of Thomson Reuters enterprise products (e.g. Datascope Select), which come with the data distribution license that permits such data utilization.
If you have any questions about data utilization rights that come with various Thomson Reuters products or if you'd like to discuss options for upgrading your account, please contact your Thomson Reuters account manager.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
3 0 0 3

Hi Avien,

The code below will do that for you.

Syntactically it's quite straight forward, it's the fields that you need to find. For this I'd recommend using the Data Item Browser (DIB) in the desktop or the Formula Builder in excel.

I wasn't sure which ticker you wanted so that's no below but it should be easy for you to find now :)

Thanks,

Sam

import eikon as ek

import pandas as pd

ek.set_app_id('xxx')

stocks = ['HSBA.L']

fields = ["TR.CommonName","TR.HeadquartersCountry","TR.SharesOutstanding",
          "TR.Volume","TR.PE","TR.DividendYield","TR.CompanyFYearEnd","TR.BusinessSummary",
          "TR.SharesFreeFloat","TR.FreeFloatPct","TR.CompanyMarketCap","TR.GICSSector"]

df, err = ek.get_data(stocks, fields)

df
icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.