Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 2 2 4

Launch excel COM Add-in with python win32com

I want to use python to automate an excel+eikon workflow. I tried to rebuild all of my excel API calls with eikon's python package, but not all required data was supported.

My excel file is .xlsm, and it needs to connect to eikon then update before I manipulate data in python. I'm using win32com as follows:

import win32com.client as win32

excel = win32.gencache.EnsureDispatch('Excel.Application')
wb = excel.Workbooks.Open(os.getcwd() + '\\MyFile.xlsm')
ws = wb.Worksheets('Sheet_With_Eikon_API_Calls')

This code opens excel, then opens my worksheet with excel eikon api calls. However, this doesn't launch the Thomson Reuters Eikon COM Add-in, so my data doesn't get updated. For my process to work, I need to launch the Eikon Add-in then update the data. Is this possible with win32com? The steps I want are:

python code:
1. launch excel
2. go to excel worksheet that has eikon api calls
3. launch excel thomson reuters eikon comm add-in (or verify that it's on)
4. refresh excel eikon api calls
5. save fresh data as .csv, then manipulate data with pandas and auto generate reports

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apiexcelpandaswin32
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

Try adding
excel.COMAddIns("PowerlinkCOMAddIn.COMAddIn").Connect = True

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
1 0 0 0

I have the same problem, i tried with

xl = win32com.client.gencache.EnsureDispatch('Excel.Application')

xl.COMAddIns("PowerlinkCOMAddIn.COMAddIn").Connect = True

but it doesnt work

icon clock
10 |1500

@david.agudelo

When posting a new question on these forums always start a new thread. Old threads with accepted answers are not monitored by moderators. If you need to reference an old thread in your question, include a link to the old thread.
To determine what's happening make the Excel instance you're creating visible (add xl.Visible = True right after creating an instance of Excel application). In the instance of Excel created do you see Refinitiv or Thomson Reuters tab added to Excel ribbon?

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.