For a deeper look into our DataScope Select REST API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 1 2 4

Our scheduled jobs(in java) to fetch Reuters "end of day" and "tickhistory" data are failing on Sundays with some certification error while connecting to get token, this is working fine on any other day of the week.

url : https://hosted.datascopeapi.reuters.com/RestApi/v1/Authentication/RequestToken

Error received : Caused by: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target.

Job scheduled for 07:30 AM CEST

dss-rest-apidatascope-selectdssapidatapricingtrade
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@sorari.pradeep
Thank you for your participation in the forum. Are any of the replies below satisfactory in resolving your query? If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply that best answers your question. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.
Thanks,
-AHS

@sorari.pradeep

Hello again!

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

AHS

@sorari.pradeep

Hi,

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvote
Accepted
13.7k 26 8 12

@sorari.pradeep, there are maintenance periods on the servers, usually on Sundays.

They can sometimes be longer than usual, like last weekend, for the migration to DSS 12.2, when it was planned that service would be unavailable approx. 7 hours starting 18:00 GMT Saturday October 13 (I do not know how long the effective unavailable time was).

Could you post the error you get, and tell us when it occurred (exact time and timezone) ? That would allows us to double check if your call failed due to maintenance.

Added after you posted the error message and timing:

The error message indicates that a trusted connection over SSL could not be established. This can have various causes, but considering your application works every day except Sunday, it is not a programming or certificate issue, it is probably a connectivity issue.

This could be due to:

• Maintenance on the DSS server side. Usually happens on weekends, can last several hours. I tried but could not find out how long the 12.2 migration actually took last weekend.
  • Maintenance on your own network. You might want to check with your IT team if there is any maintenance going on on weekends that could impact internet connectivity, on proxies, firewalls or other.

How to work around this:

• If the error happens every Sunday, then it is probably in a maintenance period (be it on the server or client side). In that case I'd suggest changing the schedule time on Sundays, setting it a few hours later.
  • Whatever the error frequency, I'd suggest implementing a process that, upon connection failure, waits a few minutes, then tries again. I would set this loop to time out only after a fairly long time, maybe 12 hours. This would make your application resilient and allow it to handled prolonged maintenance periods.

Added: Service alerts:

You can subscribe to alerts, use the service alert wizard.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@Christiaan Meihsl : Thanks for prompt response. I have updated question with timings and other details. Jobs are scheduled for 07:30 AM CEST , last job ran on 14 Oct and we received certification error while trying to get the Token for authentication "sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target"

@sorari.pradeep, I amended my response based on your added info. Hope this helps.

Got it , Thanks :)

Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.