Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
31 3 6 1

Get ID changes using Python API.

Hello,

I'd like to know if there's a way to keep track on ISIN/SEDOL/Any other identifier changes for a given company.

Is there a way to do this with the Eikon API?

Thanks for your time!

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvote
Accepted
3.8k 4 4 6

Hi,

To check the historical changes you can try with:

ek.get_data('MTBC.F',["TR.ISIN","TR.ISIN.date"],{'SDate':0,'EDate':-20,'FRQ':'Y',})

the same should work with TR.RIC or TR.SEDOL.

@22ca8780-99e4-42fa-9ca2-b27abad3c0c4

Thanks

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thanks a lot for your help!

I tried this using dates as inputs and didn't succeed. Why would that be?

ek.set_app_id('8A7A8AE30B105E8CDB41')
freq='D'
sDate='01/15/2007'
eDate='01/31/2007'
data = dict() #creating and updating dictionary
data.update(Sdate=sDate)
data.update(Edate=eDate)
data.update(Frq=freq)
df = ek.get_data(rics, 'TR.ISIN', data)

It's hard to tell without knowing what RICs were used in the request. The date range you're querying is only 16 days. Are you sure there were any changes in ISINs for the RICs in your request within this 16 day period? If you provide an example of the RICs, then we can look further.

Hi Alex!

Yes, I know that most likely within that time range hardly we'll see any changes. But even so, I should have an output if I request information within those days, right? Or should I use a much broader time range to make it work?

Perhaps something like:

sDate='01/15/2000'
eDate='01/31/2007'

Would that be good?

Attached to this message I have a sample of the RICS I'm working with at the moment.

Thanks for your valuable help!

rics.txt

rics.txt (447 B)
Upvote
3.8k 4 4 6

Hi @22ca8780-99e4-42fa-9ca2-b27abad3c0c4 ,

In your syntax you are missing TR.ISIN.date

df = ek.get_data(rics, ['TR.ISIN','TR.ISIN.date'], data)

Your example with broader time window gives more non empty results.

Please also make sure that the RIC was active on that date as few examples from your list contains instruments that were listed quite recently. Try to set up eDate to today's value to check that all the fields are non empty.

icon clock
10 |1500

One question about this, specifically speaking of RICs:

I thought RIC was an ID we could use to map all other ID's, despite it being changed from time to time, "delisted" RICs still could be used to map new stuff (even newer RICs).

Is there an ID that serves for this purpose?

The relationship between various IDs is as complex as the relationship between entities they identify: companies, legal entities issuing financial instruments, financial instrument issues and venues where the latter are traded. All are dynamic and change over time. I'm a bit lost in what exactly you're looking to track, but I think you may want to take a look at the concept of PermID, which you can explore on https://permid.org. In Eikon PermIDs can be retrieved using field names TR.OrganizationID, TR.InstrumentID, TR.QuoteID. PermIDs can also be used as inputs to retrieve corresponding ISINs

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.