Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
646 21 32 41

get_timeseries throws if cannot get info for 1 ticker

{'fields': 'VOLUME;OPEN;CLOSE;HIGH;LOW', 'startDate': '2018-11-30T00:00:00', 'endDate': '2018-11-30T00:00:01', 'interval': 'daily', 'instruments': ['1ENYM9', '1ENYU9', '1ENYZ8', '1ENYZ9']} 

The function throws with the exception:

"Empty data passed with indices specified."

This comes from panda. It seems a check for empty data is missing in eikon module.

The problem is only 1 symbol (1ENYZ9) from the instrument list has no data. So if I pass 200 instruments to the function, I receive 0 results.

This looks like a bug. Could you confirm this?

Thanks,

Igor

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apitime-series
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query? If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question. Thanks, AHS

@igorg

Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
78.8k 250 52 74

@igorg

Yes, it throws an exception. It is a bug because If I set raw_output to True, it properly returns valid JSON data.

df = ek.get_timeseries(rics=['1ENYM9', '1ENYU9', '1ENYZ8', '1ENYZ9'], 
                       start_date='2018-11-30T00:00:00', 
                       end_date='2018-11-30T00:00:01', 
                       interval="daily", 
                       raw_output=True)
df

However, the Python library is unable to parse this data.

The workaround is setting raw_output to True to retrieve the raw JSON data instead of DataFrame.

raw.jpg (62.1 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvote
646 21 32 41

Thanks for your answer. However, I cannot accept this as a good workaround. As discussed here https://community.developers.refinitiv.com/questions/34580/json-strucutre-documentation.html with @Alex Putkov. , there is no public documentation available for raw_format. I would love to use it instead of the DataFrame, because it brings only the problems. But since that format is still under development and can be changed at any time, how can I use it in our production environment?

Will this bug be fixed in nearest future?

icon clock
10 |1500

@igorg, I have reported this both to the product manager and to the dev team, and will let you know once I hear back from them.

Thank you. I will wait for some response from you.

For now, without any modifications, I can run only 1 instrument per request.. which is much slower, than 100 or 200 at a time.

Any updates on this?

Upvotes
4.6k 26 7 22

@igorg since it throws when there have not been any trades for an exchange traded asset, here is a simple check you can do as a workaround:

df, e = ek.get_data(['1ENYM9', '1ENYU9', '1ENYZ8', '1ENYZ9'], ['HSTCLSDATE']) df[df['HSTCLSDATE'].notnull()]['Instrument'].tolist() 

What it does is looks at the historical close date. If the field is null, there have not been any trades:

icon clock
10 |1500

what is HSTCLSDATE ? I don't see this field in Eikon DIB.

This field will have a value if there were trades any time before today. It gets populated during the 'closing run', when the value in the last trade price field gets copied to HST_CLOSE (or CF_CLOSE) and last trade price gets cleared.

That approach, of course, is valid if you are after inter-day time series. If you are looking for the intraday data, you can check whether there is a trade price or that the volume/turnover is not 0.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.