For a deeper look into our Elektron API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
17 2 8 12

iPlanet session has been expired

We received this message twice over the weekend: {"error":"access_denied" ,"error_description":"iPlanet session has been expired." } while re-authenticating. It fixed itself after authenticating again.

Curious what it means as we generally try to keep our session alive 24/7.

treprdp-apiwebsocketsrrtoauthentication
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

happened again today.

Hi @vikas.khurana,

Does this happen only when you refresh your token? Does your token refresh properly? You mentioned it fixes itself - I’m not sure what that means.

Also, I assume your are connecting to ERT in Cloud?

Thanks.

Yea it happens upon trying to refresh the token. By "fixes itself" I mean we are able generate a new token then recreate the websocket session and are up and running again.

Hello @vikas.khurana

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If yes, please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

AHS

Upvotes
Accepted

@vikas.khurana

The error seems to cause by the expired refresh token (18 hours) The workaround is to perform authorization with user/pass instead.

See also at : https://community.developers.refinitiv.com/questions/41556/electron-gets-disconnected.html

The development team also look into this for permanent fix.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
17.1k 80 39 63

Hi @vikas.khurana,

The error indicates your token has expired. I believe this is occurring due to a timing issue. Are you using the exact time provided in the "expires_in": 300 field to request for a new token? Initially, I found that most times I was able to refresh my token using this exact value (300 seconds), but periodically the timers don't fire in sync. I found that if I give a 10 second leeway, i.e. 290 seconds, it seems to consistently work. Give that a try.

icon clock
10 |1500

i actually do it in half the expire time, so if comes back at 300 seconds I refresh it every 150 seconds. Whats interesting is the expire time was not always 300 seconds when the error happened. Here is a log of what happened up to the iPlanet error.

[LogTime: 05:33:25.166] Successfully Re-Authenticated. Token expires in: 300 seconds.

[LogTime: 05:35:55.594] Successfully Re-Authenticated. Token expires in: 300 seconds.

[LogTime: 05:38:26.204] Successfully Re-Authenticated. Token expires in: 300 seconds.

[LogTime: 05:40:56.670] Successfully Re-Authenticated. Token expires in: 138 seconds.

[LogTime: 05:42:06.294] Successfully Re-Authenticated. Token expires in: 289 seconds.

[LogTime: 05:44:31.209] Unable to authenticate, received 401 Unauthorized. HttpEntity.Strict(application/json,{"error":"access_denied" ,"error_description":"iPlanet session has been expired." } )

@vikas.khurana

There may be reasons why the expire time coming back is different. Have you tried many different retry times? Picking half the time seems overly aggressive and I'm not sure what the effect will be if you get expire times like 138 seconds and picking half of that. Can you try a much less retry time, say only 10 seconds less?

thanks.

Show more comments

Hi @vikas.khurana,

Can you provide logs showing the details? You didn’t clarify but are you setting the leeway by 10 seconds, that is 290 secs?

Yep that is correct.

Here is the relevant part of the log (there are a bunch of ping/pong messages sent about every 20 seconds in between):

[AkkaTime: 19:48:14.089UTC] Successfully Re-Authenticated. Token expires in: 300 seconds.

[AkkaTime: 19:53:04.521UTC] Failed. Code: 401 Unauthorized, Entity: HttpEntity.Strict(application/json,{"error":"access_denied" ,"error_description":"iPlanet session has been expired." } )

Upvotes
17.1k 80 39 63

Hi @vikas.khurana,

The best course of action is to open a support ticket on the https://my.refinitiv.com/ site. Given this will likely require troubleshooting on the server side, you will likely need to provide your Machine ID as part of your question. To open a ticket, click on the above link and do the following:

1. Click the "Get Support" button on the top right.
  2. Select "Product and Content" and then click "I need help using the product".
  3. From the Product drop list, choose: "Elektron Real Time in Cloud".
  4. Provide your details - reference this question as well.
icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.