Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
39 0 2 3

Eikon permission error

Hi, I am trying to download data using eikon api. However, when I try the code

df = ek.get_timeseries(["MSFT.O"], start_date="2016-01-01", end_date="2016-01-10")

I am getting the following error:

get_timeseries raise EikonError('Error', message=ts_error_messages)
EikonError: Error code Error | MSFT.O: The user does have permission for the requested data

I can download Eikon data using the Excel addin without problem. Why do I get this error message?

Thanks in advance.

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apiapi
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
4.6k 26 7 22

@8477ab9c-f15e-4a78-9279-fd670f296382 I had a look at the admin tool, it shows you don't have access to either live or delayed data from NASDAQ. Just out of curiosity, could you show me a screenshot of the results from the following excel function:

=RHistory("MSFT.O",".Timestamp;.Close","INTERVAL:1D NBROWS:10")
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

I get the following "You do not have permission to view these RICs". And I tried the same code with for instance .dMIUS00000PUS instead, and I can get the data without problem. So you are absolutely right that the problem is the access. I will ask our account manager regarding the access.

Upvotes
39.4k 77 11 27

@8477ab9c-f15e-4a78-9279-fd670f296382
I don't see any reason why you should receive the "not permissioned" error when retrieving daily price history for stocks using Eikon Data APIs. Are you able to reproduce the issue consistently? Do you receive this error only with MSFT.O or with other RICs as well?
Could you also try the call below. Are you able to retrieve daily price history using this call?

ek.get_data(["MSFT.O"],["TR.CLOSEPRICE.date","TR.OPENPRICE","TR.HIGHPRICE","TR.LOWPRICE","TR.CLOSEPRICE"],{"SDate":"20160101","EDate":"20160110"})
icon clock
10 |1500

It seems that the issue is with all the securities having NASDAQ as the source.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.