Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
244 15 13 17

NaN in Python CUSIP query when asking for multiple securities; returns correctly with one security

Very bizarre behavior-- data which is showing up as NaN when requested with multiple securities, is showing up as valid when requested one security at a time. More oddly, if the multiple securities request is rerun after a single-security request, any securities singly-requested then have non-NaN values.

Reproduction instructions:

Suppose I set rics to a list of rics:

rics = [u'GLT', u'GLW', u'GATX.K', u'NEO.O', u'GNTX.O', u'CORT.O', u'COLM.O', u'GPC', u'GPS', u'MRC', u'CASH.O', u'GRC', u'GT.O', u'ZBH', u'LBAI.O', u'ROCK.O', u'IAC.O', u'GWW', u'AJRD.K', u'KAI', u'UBSH.O', u'HAL', u'BECN.O', u'HAS.O', u'HRC', u'RDWR.O', u'HB AN.O', u'ARNA.O', u'PTEN.O', u'ALLT.O', u'DECK.K', u'WELL.K', u'HCP', u'HCSG.O', u'BEL', u'HD', u'HOG', u'HE', u'UFPI.O', u'HEI', u'SCHN.O', u'HELE.O', u'MOV', u'LXP', u'CHK', u'REG.O', u'CSEAF.PK', u'HL']

Consider the following base request:

In[19:] data, err = ek.get_data(rics, ['TR.CUSIPCode', 'TR.CinCUSIPCode'])

In the response to this first call, I get all NaN for every RIC:

In [20]: print data

NaN TR.CUSIPCODE TR.CINCUSIPCODE

0 GLT NaN NaN

1 GLW NaN NaN

2 GATX.K NaN NaN

46 CSEAF.PK NaN NaN

47 HL NaN NaN

In the second call, I request just the first RIC, and find a valid CUSIP for it:

In [21]: data, err = ek.get_data(rics[0], data_field)

In [22]: print data

Instrument CUSIP Code CIN

0 GLT 377316104 NaN

Note that requesting RIC GLT alone makes it non-NaN, even though in the multi-RIC request it was NaN.

Then if I immediately re-request all the RICs-- now GLT has a valid CUSIP code but none of the other RICs do:

In [23]: data, err = ek.get_data(rics, data_field)

In [24]: print data

Instrument CUSIP Code CIN

0 GLT 377316104.0 NaN

1 GLW NaN NaN

2 GATX.K NaN NaN

46 CSEAF.PK NaN NaN

47 HL NaN NaN

This seems really strange, and I have confirmed that it occurs on both pyeikon 0.1.13 and 1.0.0.

Any ideas what is going on here?

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apiricssymbology
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

add "eikon data api" tag

@davidk, thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query? If yes please click the 'Accept' text beneath the reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question. Thanks, AHS

Hello @davidk

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If so please can you click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Thanks,

AHS

Hi,

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
Accepted
4.6k 26 7 22

@davidk that's a backend oddity which seems like a bug. Here is a workaround, which is not ideal though:

1. Use TR.CUSIPExtended instead of both CUSIP and CIN, as it is designed to always return a value;
  2. Do smaller batch requests, for instance, 10 at a time
df, err = ek.get_data(rics[:10], ['TR.CUSIPExtended'])

In the meantime, I will report it to the dev.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thanks, we will use the CUSIPExtended field.

As for batching-- Any general rule as to what limit to use? We're quants who often ask for data fields for 1000-2000 securities. Limiting requests even for a single field to batches of 10 (or 1, the only thing we've found consistently works recently) really hampers the performance of the Python API. I know there are data limits associated with each API request IIRC they were orders of magnitude higher than this.

@davidk the causes are being investigated. I suggested batching this specific request as a workaround, so you should be fine in other cases, API will tell you when the per request limit is hit.

Another optimization technique for you, until we finish investigating it, would be to use the symbology API to convert RIC to CUSIP, and in a separate call look for the CIN for the tickers that do not have a CUSIP:

df = ek.get_symbology(rics, from_symbol_type='RIC', to_symbol_type='CUSIP')
cin_rics = df[df['CUSIP'].isnull()].index.tolist()
cin_df, err = ek.get_data(cin_rics, ['TR.CUSIPExtended']

@davidk does the job in two requests.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.