For a deeper look into our DataScope Select REST API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials

question

Upvotes
Accepted
45 11 21 14

DSS REST API: error on receiving an extraction result that looks like some timeout problem

Hi

I am currently testing again my .Net app that uses the DSS REST API, and, not for the first time, after having extracted successfully a number of times, when I restart my app after a change, I get an error on getting the extractionResult, the error messge is:

"Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host."

My app logs in using the ExtractionsContext with user and pw, so it can be that it logged in say 5 or 6 times, and then I hit a bug in my code, so I just stop the app. And after a number of stops, I get this weird error.

And then I keep getting that error for a while if I start m app again.

Is there a proper way to log out of DSS, which would maybe cure that problem ?

Or is there a timeout, and after some hours, the DSS systems just sever the connection ?

So, what can I do about that, what the right way to handle this situation. When everything works well, my whole app runs in 1,5 minutes, so it's a lightweight thing :)

Thanks for help

Bernard

dss-rest-apidatascope-selectdssconnection
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
45 11 21 14

Hi Christiaan

I think I cried wolf. I had a mix up in my app config file, so that I was trying to update old tables with a slightly different structure. Fixing that allowed me to run the app successfully twice today, and the scheduled just ran successfully, so let's see if it continues to be OK :)

However, last week I did have one occurrence of the connection closed, so I will continue to watch out for that.

And yes, my app traffic certainly does go through firewalls and proxies. Timeout can hardly the problem, as wait times are low (10-20 seconds) due to low volumes.

Thanks

Bernard

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@BTh, glad to read it seems solved. Keep us posted if the issue ressurfaces.

Upvotes
84 3 0 1

Hi @BTh: this seems to be a user-specific issue. Would please raise a CASE with Refinitiv support along with your user details to address this issue. Thank you

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
13.7k 26 8 12

@BTh, just to answer this specific query: "Is there a proper way to log out of DSS ?": no, there is none.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
45 11 21 14

OK, then this closed connection is something unexpected, which I will have to deal with. When it happens, it usually last for quite a while until suddenly the request/response works again. As my app is going to be scheduled to run every day at a given time, I will have to find a way to rerun it automatically after a while if this error happens...

icon clock
10 |1500

@BTh, I confirm it is something unexpected, this should not occur.

Raising a case would allow the product team to trace your connection and investigate why the connection was closed.

That said, I suspect that when you have finished debugging your app this issue will no longer occur, because your app will only run once a day.

I have raised a case and got an answer from support: nothing wrong on the TR side... This is very worrying for me, because since my post, the app has had the problem in EVERY scheduled daily run ! This is the worse scenario and means there is some gremlin on our side, and I have no control over it. And it does not happen only when I am testing, it happens during a scheduled daily run !

@BTh,

Is your connection going through a proxy and/or firewall ? They might be the cause for the closed connection. A change of timeout settings might help. You should check this with your IT department.

Can you test your app on a different machine in a different environment (maybe even at home) ? It might help to isolate an environment issue.

If you share your code, I could test it to see if I run into the same issue ... If you do share, please include all required files and instructions to run it. Also, remove your user ID and password before sharing, to avoid compromising them.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.