Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
12 4 4 8

EIKON API - Composite formula timeseries

I'd like to download a composite time series usiing the EIKON Api . For example (3*LCOc1 - 2*CLc1).

¨what is the syntax that I have to use for the "get_timeseries" command ?

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apiexchange-codes
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

The composites are not available at the headend. They're calculated on the desktop by the chart app. You can easily replicate the same calculation. Try

df1 = ek.get_timeseries(['LCOc1'], ['OPEN','HIGH','LOW','CLOSE'])
df2 = ek.get_timeseries(['CLc1'], ['OPEN','HIGH','LOW','CLOSE'])
df3 = 3*df1 - 2*df2
df3.columns.name = '3*LCOc1-2*CL1'
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
4.6k 26 7 22

@davide.costanzo, you can request both time series individually, and run the formula on the response:

df = ek.get_timeseries(['LCOc1', 'CLc1'], 'CLOSE')
df['composite'] = 3*df['LCOc1']-2*df['CLc1']
df.head()

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
12 4 4 8

thanks for your answer. I actually need to download ( HIGH , LOW, OPEN , CLOSE ) for the composite expression.

It is something I can already see using the 'chart' tab in the TR interface and using the composite expression:

3*"Q%LCOc1"-2*"Q%CLc1"

see attachment:

capture.png

So I just want to download that data.

thanks

Davide

capture.png (55.2 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
12 4 4 8

Thank you for your answer.

This way of calculating the HIGH and LOW of the composite time series leads to a meaningless result.

This because , if A and B are two time series , it can be shown that

max(A-B) != max(A)-max(B)

and similarly

min(A-B) != min(A)-min(B) .

You can see this fact with an example. For example A= (0,3,0,2) and B = (3,4,1,4) . You would see that if one does (A-B) the correct (OPEN , HIGH, LOW, CLOSE) is (-3,2,-3,-2) .

Whereas simply subtracting

(OPEN , HIGH, LOW, CLOSE) - (OPEN ' , HIGH ', LOW ', CLOSE ')

would lead to (-3,-1,-1,-2) .

I verified in the 'Chart' tab , and indeed what you said is correct : that is the way it is calculated in Reuters.

I just wanted to point out the conceptual error.

icon clock
10 |1500

You're right, this is a known limitation of the composites in the Chart app. The highs and lows are not accurate and shouldn't be relied upon. The only way to construct true composite highs and lows is to retrieve the entire tick history for all the instruments, construct the composite tick history and then summarize it into say daily intervals, which of course would be a much more expensive operation, not to mention that tick history going back more than 90 days is not available through Eikon. That's the reason why the composites in the Chart app implement this very inaccurate approximation.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.