Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 0 0 2

​Error code 429 - suggestions

Hi,

While using API to get data from TR Eikon, I get this error:

Error code 429 | Client Error: Too Many Requests - Too many requests, please try again later.

Could you please give me some advise on how to overcome this problem? Is there a daily limit on the queries, should I write one single query with all the data that I need or more granular queries with a sleeping time among any queries?

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Daniele

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apierrorerror-429
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
Accepted
4.6k 26 7 22

@daniele.fornaro for more details on 429, see Usage and Limit Guidelines, but in essence - yes, if you are executing several requests in a loop, better set a time.sleep()

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Many thanks, indeed I was thinking at this solution, but I have no idea if I have reached the Daily Limit or the request per second/minute. Is there a way to understand from where the problem comes? I have read the link provided but there is not a clear answer.

The most practical way is to wait a minute and then try sending one isolated request. If it fails with Error code 429, then you hit the daily limit. If it succeeds, then you must have hit the requests per second or volume per minute limit. You could also enable logging, which will provide detailed feedback on your requests and any limits you hit at the expense of much more processing as Eikon will constantly be writing messages to the log file.

To enable the log start Eikon Configuration Manager from All Programs - Thomson Reuters - Thomson Reuters Eikon Tools. In the Configuration Manager check Configure Logs on the Workstation box, set Trace Level for Thomson Reuters Desktop to 4 - Debug and click Configure. The log file you're interested in is named SxS.YYYYMMDD.HHMMSS000.pPID.txt where YYYYMMDD and HHMMSS000 represent the timestamp when the file was created and PID is the process ID for EikonBox.exe process hosting Eikon APIs Proxy.

Also see this thread and this thread.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.