For a deeper look into our DataScope Select REST API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 0 1 3

Automated testing without tripping monthly extraction limit

I'm implementing a new CICD pipeline for my company that will include automated testing of all tests for our application every time a developer submits a commit. This test suite includes a handful of tests that submits extraction requests to Refinitiv's DSS API to ensure that we can correctly interpret, unpack, and manage the response from Refinitiv. Normally this is fine, and contributes minutely to our contracted extractions per month. That said, once this pipeline is implemented, I expect these builds to run several hundred times per day, which would put an unnecessary load on our monthly extractions.

Is there a way to test extraction requests in DSS without contributing to the extractions in monthly contracts?

dss-rest-apidatascope-selectdss
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@PMC, thank you for your participation in the forum. Are any of the replies below satisfactory in resolving your query? If yes please click the 'Accept' text beneath the most appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question. Thanks, AHS

@PMC

Hi,

Thank you for your participation in the forum.

Are any of the replies below satisfactory in resolving your query? If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the most appropriate reply.

This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

AHS

hello @PMC,

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

-AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
13.7k 26 8 12

@PMC,

A few thoughts:

• You do not mention if you have a development / staging environment, separate from the production environment. I shall assume you have, as making changes in production is a risky endeavor. That said, there are limits on the number of concurrent requests to our servers. If you are using the same DSS account for a production system and a development system, and running hundreds of requests on the test system, then it might negatively impact your production system.
  • I'm a bit surprised about the expectancy to have several hundred builds per day; I would not expect software to be modified at such a pace.
  • DSS extractions can take a certain time, depending on their size. Running them after every single commit, multiple times per day, does not seem very efficient, and could potentially add an unnecessary load on your network and systems, and our servers.
  • I believe it would make sense to first commit all software changes, and only then run the automated test suite. An alternative could be to run the test suite once a day. That would also put a lid on the DSS data consumption.

I'm guessing there might be an option to use a DSS test environment, but I'm not at all sure if that is possible or not. As stated by Ramprasad, this is a point you need to raise with your account manager, as this forum is dedicated to technical queries on APIs usage.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
84 3 0 1

Hi @PMC,

I understand your concern here. But this portal is to exchange technical knowledge with the product and your requirement is more about billing and usage.

Hence would you please contact your account manager/Sales team for more support.

Thank you

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.