Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
12 4 3 5

Check if Eikon Data API is connected to the proxy

What is the best way to test in Python whether the Eikon Proxy is running?

When I run the set_app_key function I sometimes get an error saying ""Error on checking port 9000". This error is caused as Eikon has no running connection as I might be logged in on my mobile phone although Eikon is still running on my Desktop.

Thanks for your help.

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello @FRZH

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If so please can you click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Thanks,

AHS

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

If you use the latest version of Eikon Data APIs library for Python (v1.0.1) and you execute get_data or get_timeseries methods when Eikon API Proxy is not available, the methods will throw an exception "EikonError: Error code 401 | Eikon Proxy not installed or not running. Please read the documentation to know how to install and run the proxy." This exception can be easily trapped using try... except.

try:
    ek.get_timeseries('TRI.N')
except ek.EikonError as err:
    if err.code == 401:
        print("Eikon API Proxy is not available")
For this reason I'm not sure what value a separate from a data retrieval call test if Eikon API Proxy is available would provide. But if for whatever reason you need such a test, then calling set_app_key is your best bet.
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.