Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
3 0 1 1

Is the eikon API Python link the relevent RICs all together?

I am now looking for: Given the stock RIC, let's say I have ASML.AS, as a stock RIC. I am looking for Option chain RIC, which is ASMLATMIV.EX, or 0#ASML*.EX. I tried to use eikon API, ek.get_data for that but it wasn't functional for all of the RIC's. Is the API now capable of doing such for all stock RIC's? I can say at least ek.get_data function is not.

Also is eikon api be able to transform symbology bewteen RIC and Bloomber ID?

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apiricschain-ric
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27
@Jinghao.Chen
  • I'm not sure I understand the question. What were you not able to do: construct ATM implied volatility index RIC or options chain RIC from the stock RIC? Or retrieve data using ATM implied volatility index RIC or options chain RIC? An example of what you tried doing and the result you received that didn't match your expectations would be helpful.
  • There's no mapping between RICs and Bloomberg symbology. The only way to translate Bloomberg symbology to RICs or vice versa is to use both Bloomberg terminal and a Refinitiv product and an intermediary common symbology like ISINs, CUSIPs, SEDOLs. You will need Bloomberg terminal to convert Bloomberg symbol to an ISIN/CUSIP/SEDOL, and then you can use one of Refinitiv products (e.g. Eikon) to convert ISIN/CUSIP/SEDOL to RIC.
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hi Alex: Thank you very much for answering my questions. Your 2nd bullet point is absolutely helpful.

As for the first one, I just want to have a python string that says 'ASMLATM.EX' or just the string of the option ric. All I want to do now is: I have a stock ric, let's say 'ASML.AS', I am trying to use ek.get_data('ASML.AS', [ some field]) to get 'option RIC name, '0#ASML*.E', in format of the string, or ek.somefunction_that_I_dont_know('ASML.AS', [ some filed]) to achieve such purpose. It turns not all of the RICs have such field to achieve this.

Another example is: I can have ek.get_data('ASML.AS',['LONGLINK2']), which will give me '0#ASML*.E'.

but ek.get_data('BAES.L', [ no fields can achieve this] ) will give me nothing. However, notice that BAES.L does have option RIC, '0#BAES*.L'.

After I have such string, like 0#BAES*.L, I can retrieve data from it. So getting the option ric name string will be sufficient for me.

Thank you

I'm afraid there's no public API that would help you to construct ATM implied volatility index RIC or options chain RIC from a stock RIC.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.