Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
9 4 2 6

Why are there fields visible in data item browser that are not accessible via Eikon Data AP?

I am running Eikon API Proxy on Mac, version 1.0.102. For many fields I can see values on the data item browser (for bonds) like CF_BID, or TRADE_DATE, but anytime I query for these fields using Eikon Data API in Python, they never get retrieved, only returning None values. Why am I unable to retrieve these programmatically?

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apidata-item-browser
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello @javan.graham,

Thank you for your participation in the forum.

Is the reply below satisfactory in answering your question? If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the most appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

-AHS

Can't accept comments, so I will just accept the top level post to the comments that clarified things for me.

Upvotes
Accepted
22k 58 14 21

I just tried the data item browser for a random bond and could verify that only bond applicable fields had data in them.

ahs.png (39.2 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello Gurpreet, seems that when querying by ISIN, no CF fields are populated (however I am able to get other fields this way such as tr.bidyield), but only querying by RIC returns them...

Hi Javan, the “CF_” field is “Consolidate/Common” field generated by application such TRKD and Eikon. The applications use their own logic to map the existing field to the "CF_" field, and these are only available for RIC's. Thanks.

Thanks, that is good to know. A bit deceiving that you can access other fields via CUSIP or ISIN but not these.

Show more comments
Upvotes
22k 58 14 21

Hi @javan.graham, You can filter the fields in data item browser, by typing in the RIC code for the item you are interested in, in which case only the applicable fields are shown.

These fields are relevant to equities and can be pulled for equity quotes like:

>>> df, err = ek.get_data(['GOOG.O','MSFT.O', 'FB.O'], ['CF_LAST', 'CF_BID', 'TRADE_DATE'])
>>> df
Instrument CF_LAST CF_BID TRADE_DATE
0 GOOG.O 1228.8400 1228.60 2019-07-30
1 MSFT.O 140.8435 140.84 2019-07-30
2 FB.O 196.4850 196.47 2019-07-30
icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.