question

Upvotes
Accepted
95 7 12 25

Migrating from SFC to EMA, off-stream vs on-stream posting

Hi,

migrating from an SFC C++ based application to an EMA C++ based application, I'm re-coding a module responsible of sending contribution post requests.

I just want a confirmation of my analysis.

In SFC, I used a class implementing RTRInsertServiceClient and RTRInsertClient, and the application was designed to send contribution requests to items that were not subscribed by the application itself. Using EMA, I understand that the correct way to be aligned with the old SFC application would be using off-stream posting, which allows me to send post messages over the Login stream with the target service. Instead, on-stream posting would require to register to the item target of the post requests.

So, is actually off-stream posting the strategy that I should adopt? Or it is irrelevant?

Could you please comment \ add any details clarifying the reason why off-stream and on-stream posting exist as concepts, and what are the use cases were one is preferable to the other?

Thanks

Best Regards,

Paolo

elektronrefinitiv-realtimeelektron-sdkema-apirrtelektron-message-apipostingsfcmigration
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvote
Accepted
25.3k 87 12 25

Hi @Paolo Parlapiano

Based on your description, off-stream posting would be the appropriate technique to use.

In terms of the reason why on-stream and off-stream exist - this would be to cater for the two scenarios

1. Like your requirement where you are only interested in contributing data to an instrument - with no interest in the instrument's current values - Off-Stream would be used.
  2. When you are interested in the current values of an instrument as well as needing to contribute values to the instrument - On-stream can be used.
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thank you @Umer Nalla

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.