Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvote
Accepted
135 14 10 10

Searching for bonds with specific criteria using Python

Hello! I would like search for bonds using Python and Eikon API (not Excel) that satisfy certain criteria: e.g. domicile=Sweden, currency=EUR etc etc. And retrieve a list of RICs or ISINs that correspond to the bonds. Thanks!

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apibondssearch
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
644 4 7 8

The central Fixed Income search tool within Eikon is GOVSRCH, which allows gneration of criteria-based searches across the GOV/CORP universe. Currently GOVSRCH is not exposed in DAPI, we have requested for roadmap.

You can download GOVSRCH results to Excel (values), but you can also export to a Monitor or List within Eikon, which can then be referenced via Eikon DAPI ...see below/attached.

fields=['TR.ISIN','TR.FiIssuerName','TR.FiTicker','TR.FiNetCoupon','TR.FiMaturityDate']

gov, err = ek.get_data('monitor(bond_list)',fields) bond_list = gov['ISIN'].tolist() bonds, err = ek.get_data(bond_list ,fields)

bonds.head(5)

bond-list.png (26.3 KiB)
govsrch.png (331.8 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvote
135 14 10 10

Hi James @James.Perkins, Many thanks for the reply, this is very helpful! However, I encounter a problem that not all bonds (or loans if I use LOANSRCH) have an identifier (either ISIN or RIC). This means that I cannot download these instruments into the Monitor/List and cannot address them using Python. Is there an explanation of why a few of the instruments do not have any identifiers? Many thanks

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvote
644 4 7 8

thank you. Great question. We actually do have RICs for some loans as well.

In general within the Fixed Income universe, if a bond or loan doesn't have a RIC, it means we don't provide a real-time or intraday price (or potentially even end an EOD price). In the case of Loans, we have RICs for > 3K of the most liquid traded loans... since many loans aren't liquid, there aren't prices for them, and therefore no RICs.

in the GOV/CORP universe ) GOVSRCH contains 874K active issues, of which >500K have RICs (and pricing).

loans.png (268.3 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

@James.Perkins

Many thanks for the explanation. However, I am not looking to download pricing or any intraday or EOD measure. I am looking to download basic stuff like credit ratings, issuer name, sector (industry), domicile, amount and similar measures to aggregate bond (loan) issuance volumes by date.

If we do not have a RIC for the instrument it means that we cannot access any of the information on this bond via Excel and/or Python, is that correct? Why would Eikon not consider adding its own identifier (e.g. RIC) to the bonds it already has in its database? This would make lives of Developers so much easier....

Upvote
644 4 7 8

You can absolutely pull in data on fixed income instruments via ISIN/CUSIP rather than RIC ... see Fixed Income Excel Template png. The function of the RIC for OTC instruments is to deliver pricing from different pricing providers/contributors. So, while a bond only has 1 ISIN, it usually has many associated RICs (1 for each pricing source)..

The limitation in this case is that the Monitor App in Eikon only supports RICs, but the GOVSRCH and LOANSRCH can download ISINs into Excel and then reference in Python...

We are looking to provide a more automated method for extracting the FI universe to DAPI.

I'm glad to send you the actual xls template if helpful; just ping me at james.perkins@refinitiv.com

fi.png (112.2 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

@ Hi James, if i am could make a suggestion for Refinitiv's DAPI developers, having something like the SCREENER app for fixed income securities (bonds and loans) would be brilliant. I am really enjoying using Refinitiv's Equity Screener, and it would be nice to have a similar app for FI. Many thanks!

thank you @oleksandr.yermolayev. It's certainly an important area. We have already added to the list for review with our teams.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.