Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 0 0 2

Eikon Python API - unable to create an App Key

ak-gen.png

Hi,

I'm trying to generate the App Key to use Eikon Data API for Python as per:

https://developers.refinitiv.com/eikon-apis/eikon-data-apis/quick-start

When I click on the "Register New App", nothing happens

Even ''API'' field values are not available to select ''Eikon Data API'' as mentioned in the above guide.

Thanks!

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apiapp-key
ak-gen.png (17.9 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello @abdessamad.outerqiss,

Thank you for your participation in the forum.

Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

-AHS

@abdessamad.outerqiss

Hi,

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
18.2k 21 13 21

Hi @abdessamad.outerqiss

Your Eikon version is too low and it does not have APIPROXY service (or it has a low version which is not compatible with API version1.0.1).

I also think that it may also be related to why you cannot use APPKEY application. In any case, please upgrade your Eikon Desktop first and try again. Thanks.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thanks Chavalit!

Indeed, it was due to the old version, I upgraded and can now generate the key.

Upvotes
644 4 7 8

thanks for your query. If API options are grayed out then it's likely the App did not load properly. I would recommend re-loading it and trying again. Generally if a Key is unable to be generated for some reason an error will appear,,, but it sounds like in your case you're not getting any error, which likely points to the AppKey app itself rather than something request related. Would also ensure other apps in Eikon are working correctly, there could be something more global interfering.

appkey.png (44.3 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 0 0 2

Thanks @James.Perkins for your reply.
I was able to generate the key via web version of Eikon (Desktop one doesn't work as I mentioned). When I tried to use the key in the code:

import eikon as ek

ek.set_app_key('xxxxx')

I got another error:

Error on checking port 9000 : HTTPConnectionPool(host='localhost', port=9000): Max retries exceeded with url: /api/v1/data (Caused by NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.HTTPConnection object at 0x0000027C90605C88>: Failed to establish a new connection: [WinError 10061] No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it',)) Error on checking port 36036 : HTTPConnectionPool(host='localhost', port=36036): Max retries exceeded with url: /api/v1/data (Caused by NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.HTTPConnection object at 0x0000027C906050F0>: Failed to establish a new connection: [WinError 10061] No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it',)) Error on handshake port None : Failed to parse: localhost:None Port number was not identified. Check if Eikon Desktop or Eikon API Proxy is running.

EikonError: Error code -1 | Port number was not identified. Check if Eikon Desktop or Eikon API Proxy is running.

I can't use netstat command to check ports, due to corporate restrictions.

Thanks

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
18.2k 21 13 21

Hi @abdessamad.outerqiss

Do you know what Eikon variant you are using ?

Or please try to follow this article to verify if the APIPROXY service on Eikon Desktop is enabled properly and also Eikon Data API version installed on your machine.

I think it could be that you may use Eikon variant that does not support APIPROXY service.

Or you EIkon Desktop installation may have not been successful.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 0 0 2

Hi @chavalit.jintamalit,

Eikon version I use is 4.0.26424 eikonversion.png

As per https://developers.refinitiv.com/eikon-apis/eikon-data-apis/quick-start

Eikon version should be 4.0.36 or higher. Could this be the cause of issue?

For Eikon data API, it's 1.0.1 version

I followed instructions on the link you mentioned, I noticed that:

- "Configure" button is deactivated under Configuration manager config-manager.png

- No SxS files found under TRD folder

- http://localhost:9000/ping?all doesn't work for me

As I mentioned before, I was able to generate the key only via Eikon web version. Desktop one doesn't anything (attachment in my first post).

I'd like to mention that, in excel too, I can't see ThomsonReuters tab.

For variant, how I could find the one installed?

Thank you!

eikonversion.png (19.4 KiB)
config-manager.png (50.5 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.