Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
135 15 10 10

Excel functions to Python code

Is there a comprehensive guide on how to reliably transform Eikon Excel Add-in functions into Python functions to get the same data? Many thanks!

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apieikon-com-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvote
Accepted
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @oleksandr.yermolayev

I think this is a very relevant topic to discuss, as lots of traditional heavy Excel users are learning Python and migrating their existent Excel sheets into Python code.

I understand this question as broader, then Eikon Data APIs or even Refinitiv APIs.

From what I see online, I think you may find to be a useful read:

Replacing Excel With Python

There are other versions as well.

And following up on this read, designing the custom app's structure, identifying required inputs, outputs, calculations.

Next, to integrate Eikon content via Python and Eikon Data APIs, I would go through

Eikon Data API Quickstart and then depending on what Eikon content you are looking to integrate, pick the relevant tutorials from Eikon Data API tutorials section.

Is this helpful?

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
135 15 10 10

Hello @zoya.farberov,

Many thanks, this is helpful. Eikon Data API resources and tutorials were known to me already and this 'towardsdatascience' article is interesting, however not relevant to Eikon.

So there are no exact Refinitiv guides like:

"Here is Eikon Excel formula and here is Eikon Python formula to compare for main cases?"

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvote
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @oleksandr.yermolayev,

No, I am afraid there is no short-circuit way to migrate a spreadsheet, one has to go line by line and examine the content.

The code will, most of the time, look very similar to formula, for instance see this discussion for an example.

In many cases we use RSerach to identify the correct python parameters such as this question.

The other very used tool is Data Item Browser or DIB, you may find this article to be relevant on DIB usage.

icon clock
10 |1500

@zoya.farberov

Great, many thanks for the links and your help!

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.