question

Upvotes
Accepted
3 0 1 3

What is the appropriate API to use in order to be notified of a page update / new link on a given page the moment it goes up?

***Not sure which forum to post this in--open to your suggestions***

Newbie here--We would like to be notified as soon as certain Reuters authors' article pages update. That is, anytime certain given authors post or create an article, we want to be notified of that as close to instantaneously as possible. Which API should we use to best accomplish that goal? Any tips or insights would be helpful. Thank you in advance.

apirkd-apirkd
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
3 0 1 3

Thank you @Gurpreet!

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
21.8k 57 14 21

Hello @investmentsaz, Are you referring to the Articles page on the developers portal? If so, we do not have an API to manage the notifications for updates to it.

If not, can you please identify the product or page that you are interested in.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
3 0 1 3

Hello @Gurpreet, thank you for your response. Please allow me to better explain. Here is the Reuters link to all stories by author Mert Ozkan. I want to know which API I would use if I wanted to build a tool to send push notifications any time Mert Ozkan published a new article, or anytime this page, which shows only stories by author Mert Ozkan, added a new URL:

https://www.reuters.com/journalists/mert-ozkan

I am unsure which API to use to accomplish this!

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
21.8k 57 14 21

@investmentsaz, We do not have such an API for receiving notifications from a specific journalist. Our News products like Machine Readable News, allow a user to subscribe with varying search criteria like language, keyword or company ticker. Once subscribed all the matching headlines are delivered over a streaming connection.

If you are interested in monitoring the webpage for changes, you can use third party web monitoring tools. Google search shows entities like https://www.wachete.com and https://visualping.io etc.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
3 0 1 3

@Gurprteet Could we use the author's name as the keyword? Also, how close to real time do stories which meet the criteria you set within the Machine Readable News API distribute? Is it instantaneous, or is there a delay of some kind?

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
21.8k 57 14 21

Journalist's name is not included. The News headlines and stories are distributed in real time.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
3 0 1 3

@Gurpreet, if they API can be setup to search via keyword, which string(s) of text does the keyword check? Only content of the article and the headline? But not the author name between the two?

icon clock
10 |1500

The journalist name on MRN is only present in the text string of the news story body. So your app will have do the text search to get the one it needs.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.