Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
37 7 10 13

Why am I getting empty field when retrieving data for an MSCI index?

I am trying to retreive data for a MSCI index and I am getting empty value for the name and currency. Is there something wrong in my query?

Here is the query:

data1, err1 = ek.get_data(['.dMIUGC0000NEU'],['TR.IndexName','TR.IndexCalculationCurrency'])

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
18.2k 21 13 21

Hi @Tulkkas

Can you use "DSPLY_NAME" and "CURRENCY" fields?

ahs.png (14.9 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

of course I can use it! That's not a problem. But the name provided is really not very user friendly compare to TR.IndexName. Is there a reason why .dMIUGC0000NEU does not have and index name?

Upvotes
21.8k 57 14 21

Hello @Tulkkas, You can use the Data Item Browser to see the list of available fields for an item. I see the field TR.CommonName and CF_CURR, which contain the information that you are looking for.

ahs.png (50.5 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Thank you for your answer. TR.CommonName is for company and in that case, it gives me MSCI which is the company which licences those indices. I am not sure if you noticed that. In my case I am actually looking for the name of index itslef, which should be something like MSCI EUROPE Ex UNITED KINGDOM Ex SWITZERLAND. For me it makes sense that TR.IndexName would be the right field. My question was why this field works fine for all other indices i am interested:

.dMIMS00000PUS.dMIME00000PUS.dMIMU00000PUS.dMILA00000PUS.dMIUGC0000PUS.dMIJP00000PUS.dMIPCJ0000PUS.dMICH00000P.dMIGB00000PUS.dMICA00000PUS.dMIUS00000PUS

but not this one?

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.