Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
0 0 0 2

How to get Economic Calendar from Eikon Data API

I try to use Eikon Data API to get Economic Calendar, such as:

20:30 2019/11/01 USD Change in Non-farm Payrolls (OCT)

20:30 2019/11/01 USD Unemployment Rate (OCT)

Does anyone know how to do it? thanks.

Code example is better.

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apieconomic-data
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
3.8k 4 4 6

Hi @ludi

You can still do it using RICs available on a page <ECONOMY>. For US it will be a chain RIC <0#ECONALLUS>

df,err = ek.get_data('0#ECONALLUS',['DSPLY_NAME','GN_TXT16_3','GN_TXT16_4','OFFC_CODE2'])
df.rename(columns={'DSPLY_NAME':'Indicator', 'GN_TXT16_3':'GMT Date','GN_TXT16_4':'Actual','OFFC_CODE2':'Reuters Poll'}, inplace=True)
df

ahs1.jpg (96.6 KiB)
ahs2.jpg (249.2 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hi does this still work?

If I currently run this query. it gives me the following warning:

'The record could not be found' for the instrument '0#ECONALLUS'

thx!

Upvotes
77 5 12 17

Hi does this still work?

If I currently run this query. it gives me the following warning:

'The record could not be found' for the instrument '0#ECONALLUS' 
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
77 5 12 17
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
10.1k 18 6 9

@laurens So yes economic chains appear to have been removed so the replacement workflow is RDP Search API. Please see the following:

df = rdp.search(
    view = rdp.SearchViews.IndicatorQuotes,
    query = "United States",
    filter = "startswith(RIC,'US')",   #endswith(RIC,'ECI'),
    top = 10000
)

df

This returns 814 instruments, some which don't have realtime suffixes (=ECI). I downloaded a list of rics from the economic monitor app (EM) and all the unique RICs that were downloaded were present in the RICs returned by the search API. So I think this is the way (perhaps filtering the list to those RICs ending with ECI) . Happy to hear your feedback or thoughts. I hope this can help.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.