Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
5 6 6 8

ek.get_data('BPCL',['TR.ISINCode'])

ek.get_data('BPCL',['TR.ISINCode']) does not give the ISIN though I can see the ISIN for this on Eikon terminal.

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Above is the output on eikon screen but dosent come when calling from API

1573407948537.png (58.8 KiB)

(Private comment) The API documentation does not say that get_data() requires RICs in the instrument parameter. Does it? It does not say whether get_symbology() fails or passes multiple results if the results are ambiguous. It does not say how, in general, to map an unambiguous ticker such as "BCPL on NSE Mumbai" to a RIC. There does not seem to be a mapping function that takes { ticker, exchange } and returns a RIC. Is there? There is of course search but that's not (yet) in the public API. I think these questions need to be answered here. @Olivier DAVANT ?

Hello @abbanerjee

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If yes, please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

AHS

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
18.2k 21 13 21

Hi @abbanerjee

From my understanding, Ticker is not unique so you may or may not get best match.

This picture is just for example:

So get_data function could not resolve it

ahs1.png (187.4 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
18.2k 21 13 21

Hi @abbanerjee

The RIC code is BPCL.NS in your capture screen.

ahs.png (75.6 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
5 6 6 8

Please note I am not using RIC code but ticker. The ticker for BPCL on NSE exchange is BPCL and in this case its a coincidence that ticker is BPCL and RIC is BPCL.NS. Another example where this is not the case is for example Reliance Power.

My goal is not to use the RIC but get a mapping from ticker to ISIN. It works for others and does not work for this specific case. The regular help desk directs all API related questions to this forum which is time consuming and frustrating.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
18.2k 21 13 21

Hi @abbanerjee

Alternatively, you can use get_symbology function.

ahs.png (7.8 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
5 6 6 8

Ok great. Thanks for the interim solution but can someone please also look at my original question? Is it an aberration that it works for other tickers or is there something specificially wrong in the content setup of BPCL ?

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
5 6 6 8

Also for GAIL its not working - possible there are multiple matches. Whats the best way arround this ?

ek.get_symbology('GAIL',from_symbol_type='Ticker',to_symbol_type=['ISIN'])

error

GAIL No best match available

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
5 6 6 8

Was able to do this.

ek.get_symbology('GAIL',from_symbol_type='Ticker',to_symbol_type=['ISIN'],bestMatch=False)
icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.