question

Upvote
Accepted
401 21 25 35

Build error for UPA examples on CentOS

I am completely new to Reuters.

I have just downloaded the UPA API and installed it on a Centos Server.

lsb_release -a

LSB Version: :core-4.0-amd64:core-4.0-noarch:graphics-4.0-amd64:graphics-4.0-noarch:printing-4.0-amd64:printing-4.0-noarch

Distributor ID: CentOS

Description: CentOS release 6.3 (Final)

Release: 6.3 Codename: Final

uname -a

Linux ADSAUHSGP01 2.6.32-279.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Jun 22 12:19:21 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

gcc --version

gcc (GCC) 4.4.6 20120305 (Red Hat 4.4.6-4)

However, the makefile for building rsslConsumer fails as shown below.

cat: /etc/oracle-release: No such file or directory

rm -f /obj/rsslConsumer.o

mkdir -p /obj/

mkdir: cannot create directory `/obj/': Permission denied

gmake: *** [/obj/rsslConsumer.o] Error 1

A quick look in the make file shows it is looking for RH, SUSE, or some Oracle Linux release.

My question is, as Centos is basically RH, is it feasible and correct to build the code for use on Centos by:

1) Modify the makefile to include a Centos build for each makefile I find

2) Some other magic not specified

Or is it pointless thing to attempt because the code will only run successfully on RH or SUSE or Oracle as specified in the makefile?. I don't want to waste my time if it won't work properly.

elektronelektron-sdkrrteta-apielektron-transport-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

This also applies to RFA and all parts of Elektron SDK.

Upvotes
Accepted
301 13 33 38

The product is only supported for the operating systems stated in the product readme.

That being said, there is no reason that I can think of as to why the libs would not work on CentOs, but you are correct as you would need to update the makefile.

All the makefiles are geared to work for our supported OSes. If you run into a support issue on an unsupported platform for any Thomson Reuters Product, you would need to prove that the issue occurs on a supported platform to be addressed.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
1.2k 23 31 44

This is because the Makefile is detecting features by platform rather than by capability, the Makefile will have to be modified in one of many different ways to get it working.

Example 1: Replace RedHat test with a CentOS test

ifeq ($(findstring RedHat,$(DIST)),RedHat)

With the GNU recommended usage of findstring,

ifneq (,$(findstring CentOS,$(DIST)))

Example 2: Replace all platform detection code with feature detection

Comedy screenshot of patch as attachments don't work:

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.