For a deeper look into our DataScope Select REST API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 0 1 1

DSS request inconsistent timeout

Hi ,

We are POSTing the following request for DSS API.

- We are requesting every 5 minutes.

- We waiting for a minute before we timeout the request.

- About 15 times a day it takes more then a minute (and then I fail the request).

-- Is it ok and normal that sometimes it takes more then a minute ?

-- Am i doing something wrong ?

-- Should i increase the timeout ?

Here is the request :

curl -X POST \
https://hosted.datascopeapi.reuters.com/RestApi/v1/Extractions/ExtractWithNotes \
-H 'Authorization: Token XXXXXXXXXXXXX’ \
-H 'Content-Type: application/json' \
-d '{
"ExtractionRequest": {
"@odata.type": "#ThomsonReuters.Dss.Api.Extractions.ExtractionRequests.IntradayPricingExtractionRequest",
"ContentFieldNames": [
"RIC", "Mid Price", "Security Description", "Instrument ID", "Instrument ID Type"
],
"IdentifierList": {
"@odata.type": "#ThomsonReuters.Dss.Api.Extractions.ExtractionRequests.InstrumentIdentifierList",
"InstrumentIdentifiers": [
{ "Identifier": "EUR=", "IdentifierType": "Ric" },
{ "Identifier": "CNYUSD=R", "IdentifierType": "Ric" },
{ "Identifier": "JPYUSD=R", "IdentifierType": "Ric" },
{ "Identifier": "GBP=", "IdentifierType": "Ric" }
]
},
"Condition": { "ScalableCurrency": "true" }
}
}'
dss-rest-apidatascope-selectdsstime-out
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello @katia.dubnik

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If yes, please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

AHS

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
Accepted
13.7k 26 8 12

@katia.dubnik,

Q1: Is it ok and normal that sometimes it takes more then a minute ?

A1: Yes, server response times vary depending on the size of a request, and on the server load.

Q2: Am i doing something wrong ?

A2: You should not resubmit your query after a timeout; it increases the server load, because when you resubmit, you have 2 queries running in parallel. Instead, you should check the status of the existing query, by doing a GET to the location URL that is returned in the header response when it times out (the response that has an HTTP 202 status). For more information on this workflow, please see:

Q3: Should i increase the timeout ?

A3: As per the answer to your previous question, no, that is not the way to handle a request that times out. As a side effect this would also delay the time it takes to receive your data (as you are requesting intraday data I guess you want it fairly quickly). You need to handle the 202 response if you run into a timeout. I would actually revert to the standard default timeout of 30 seconds.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.