question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 0 0 0

How do I get an identifier code through the deal screener?

Currently for my master's thesis, I'm doing research on M&A.

I have collected about 700+ acquisitions & mergers over the past years through using the Deal Screener in the Thomson Reuters tab on Excel. All I need to do now is get the Market cap and other financials from the companies that I have found who did an M&A.

I know that you can easily get financials for these companies using the RIC or an ISIN number. However, while using the deal screener, it does not offer me an option to return any identification number which can be used to request financials such as the stock Price, EBIT, ...

How can I request a RIC or ISIN number (or sortalike number) using the deal screener? I have looked everywhere on the internet but can't seem to find anything. Or is there another identification code that I can use or request somewhere by using the deal screener?

I also have the names, CUSIP number, ticker symbols of the companies, but I can't be asked to enter them manually & look up the financials one by one... This would take ages. Also by selecting the range of all these names, cusip, tickers, it just returns me errors.

I'd be forever grateful if someone could help me out here.

Kind regards

eikondatastream-apidsws-apicorporate-actionsthomson-reuters
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello @chasingaming,

Thank you for your participation in the forum.

Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

-AHS

@chasingaming

Hi,

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

Upvote
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

@Jordy
You can include TR.MnAAcquirorPermId and TR.MnATargetPermId in the list of fields you request from the Screener. These fields will return the PermID for the acquirer and the target. PermIDs can then be used to retrieve financials for these companies. E.g. 4295873661 is the PermID for Siemens Ltd. The following expression returns the latest Siemens Ltd stock close price and annual EBIT.

ek.get_data('5000018278', ['TR.PriceClose', 'TR.EBIT'])

Follow the Screener wizard in Excel to see what other fields the Deal Screener can return.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thank you! I will definitely test this tomorrow! I think this might be the right answer. So I just type the 'TR.MnAAcquirorPermID and TR.MnATargetPermID' in the screen I just posted below? :)

Here's an example that retrieves all the deals announced between Feb 1st and Feb 18th 2020.

ek.get_data('SCREEN(U(IN(DEALS)),' + 
            'BETWEEN(TR.MnAAnnDate,20200201,20200218), CURN=USD)',
            ['TR.MnASDCDealNumber', 'TR.MnAAnnDate', 
             'TR.MnATarget', 'TR.MnATargetPermId',
             'TR.MnAAcquiror', 'TR.MnAAcquirorPermId'])

Dear Mr Putkov

You have been a great help! I think I succeeded in getting a sample through using the regular screener in stead of the deal screener now. Maybe it is a very far reach but so far I think my sample is ok. I have gotten a sample containing of the following criteria:

- Deal status completed

- Announcement date: between 01/01/2009 - 31/12/2019

- Both acquirer as target are Listed on a stock exchange

- Both acquirer as target are from a known country

- Pre-acquisition stake <50% and post-acquisition stake >50%

- Deal form= merger or acquisition (however not sure if I need to include this???)

- Excluding the financial sector/industry

- And lastly: Cross border deals/flag = true

Does this look ok to you?

Then for the financials for the TARGET company, a year before the announcement date:

I need the current assets, current liabilities, total assets, EBIT, total debt, sales, I think I have managed to find these already. But then I need the market capitalisation and the retained earnings lastly, but I have not seem to find these in the screener?

Is there a way I can obtain these or do you have some sort of formula?

I would be forever grateful to you, sir!

Very kind regards

Upvote
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @Jordy,

How about this approach:

In your Screener, when you screen:

• Universe=Deals
  • Asset Class=M&A
  • Include= pick Lists option

In Lists, select My Portfolios & Lists, choose Create New and create your custom list, by uploading a file of available RICs.

Is this roughly what you are looking to do?

If not, for Eikon application usage, a more in-depth Eikon help can be reached via

Eikon => Help option of Eikon desktop menu.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 0 0 0

@zoya.farberov Thank you for your quick response. The thing is, I'm not using the regular 'Screener' but the 'Deal Screener' in Excel. I use this to request all the Deals over past 10 years, with prestake <50%, poststake >50%, all listed targets & acquirers & cross-border flag.

I need to use the Deal screener according to my university, but no one is able to give me an answer how to get a RIC or ISIN code for the acquirer and the target.

This is the screen I use:

All I need is the screen to return me a RIC or ISIN code. How do I do this because this doesn't show up in the 'request' list (so to speak).

With this RIC or ISIN code I can easily get financials by using Eikon Datastream -> Time series request.

Tomorrow I will definitely check the 'help' option.

But do you know how I can get the RIC number from the acquirer or target by using the Deal Screener?

Very kind regards!

eikon.png (337.2 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Hello @chasingaming,

Could you please include a screenshot of your ThomsonReuters ribbon/menu where it says "Deal Screener"?

What version of Refinitiv Excel are you running? (Eikon->Help->About ThomsonReuters Eikon)?

Hey @zoya.farberov, I am using product version: 4.0.50046 Here are some photos about the Ribbon and the Deal Screener itself:

I need to find a RIC code or something else in order to request time series in this ribbon:

I used the normal screener and came up with very few results. I did however get the FirmID but this is not working when I am requesting a time series.

@Alex Putkov

ribbon1.png (27.8 KiB)
ribbon2.png (23.8 KiB)

Hello @chasingaming,

My version of Eikon 4.0.51 does not have Deal Screener, however, it appears to be the subset of Screener functionality that is used for Deals.

Therefore I encourage you to follow the suggestion from @Alex Putkov.

Upvote
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @chasingaming,

To research content available via Eikon Data API, fields and parameters, a very useful tool is Data Item Browser (DIB) in Eikon.

For more info on how to use please refer to this tutorial.

Hope this helps you proceed.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 0 0 0

Hello, I'm a student at UCD Lochlann Quinn School of Business. When I complete screening for a case study, can it be exported to Excel, if the number of results is greater than 15,000? Is it possible to use Python and Eikon Data API to pull the Deal Screener data?

https://developers.refinitiv.com/eikon-apis/eikon-data-api/learning?content=14707&type=learning_material_item

2.4.2 Finance data: Thompson Reuters Eikon 4.0 Deal Screener integrations with pimion

icon clock
10 |1500

@danielleclarke
Old threads with accepted answers are not monitored by forum moderators. If you have a new question, always start a new thread.

Deal screening is now available through regular Screener behind the Screener button under the Thomson Reuters tab in Excel ribbon. To screen for deals select Deals from the drop-down for the Universe in the Screener wizard. The Screener wizard allows to insert the Screener expression as =TR function into Excel worksheet. This Screener expression can then be copied into get_data method of Eikon Data APIs.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.