Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
3 1 1 1

Series of hstorical implied volatility for a list of RICs

Hi. I am quite new with Eikon Python API. I would like to ask how to get a series of historical Implied Volatility for a list of RICs. For example, close of day implied volatility from 2000-2010 for US energy sector. Thanks a lot.

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apihistorical
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvote
Accepted
18.2k 21 13 21

Hi @songqirong

Thanks for the sample formula in Eikon Excel

Please try this code:

df,e = ek.get_data('VODATMIV.L',
                   ['TR.30DAYATTHEMONEYIMPLIEDVOLATILITYINDEXFORPUTOPTIONS.Date',
                    'TR.30DAYATTHEMONEYIMPLIEDVOLATILITYINDEXFORPUTOPTIONS'
                   ],
                   {'SDate':'20140903','EDate':'20150902','Frq':'D'})
df.sort_index(ascending=False, inplace=True)
df

Output:

ahs.png (51.7 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
9.6k 10 7 7

Hello @songqirong

Eikon Python API provides get_timeseries(..) function which returns historical data on one or several RICs. The function can return the following fields: 'TIMESTAMP', 'VALUE', 'VOLUME', 'HIGH', 'LOW', 'OPEN', 'CLOSE', 'COUNT'

The example to get close price:

import pandas as pd
import eikon as ek
#set app key to identify the application on Eikon, Eikon Proxy or Refinitiv Platform
ek.set_app_key(<The application key>)
#get historical close price of RIC IBM.N from 2000-01-01 till 2010-12-31
df = ek.get_timeseries('IBM.N', 'CLOSE', interval='daily', start_date='2000-01-01', end_date='2010-12-31')
#display time series data frame
df

output.png (12.2 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
78.1k 246 52 72

@songqirong

Typically, you can use the get_data method to get time series data. However, I am not sure Eikon can provide historical implied volatility. I only found the real-time field (IMP_VOLT) for implied volatility.

You can verify this by directly contacting the Eikon support team via MyRefiniiv and asking for the TR formula in Eikon Excel which can be used to retrieve historical implied volatility.

1585543613967.png (7.0 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

@jirapongse.phuriphanvichai

Thank you very much. I have got the TR formula to retrieve historical implied volatility. For example, =RHistory($B$1,"30D_A_IM_P.Timestamp;30D_A_IM_P.Value","START:"&$B$2&" END:"&$B$3&" INTERVAL:1D",,"CH:Fd",B5)

And the output looks like

May I ask whether I can adapt the excel formula to the "get_data" method in python API? One of the critical drawback of the excel plug in is that it takes quite a long time to update.

capture.png (9.8 KiB)
Upvotes
3 1 1 1

@chavalit.jintamalit Thanks a lot. I have just tried the code, it worked perfect!

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.