Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
98 26 32 35

Confusion about primariness.

I want to check if a RIC is a primary instrument. For that, I usually use the formula TR.IsPrimaryInstrument (with a boolean output). Let's suppose I use this RIC: 00XJ.F, the outcome for this ticker and TR.IsPrimaryInstrument is 'true'.

But, when I use TR.IsPrimaryInstrument for a similar RIC (00XJ.DE) I get back that it is also a 'true' outcome to the same formula.

How is this possible? I would like to understand.

For example, when I check the RIC associated to other ID's, like ISIN, using TR.PrimaryInstrument, I get 00XJ.DE and not 00XJ.F

What should I use to define my criteria on primariness using these Eikon formulas? I'm a bit confused over this.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apiformula-builder
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvote
Accepted
3.8k 4 4 6

Hi @aquilesjlp300

Try TR.IsPrimaryQuote or alternatively TR.PrimaryQuote.

df, err = ek.get_data(['00XJ.DE','00XJ.F'],['TR.IsPrimaryQuote','TR.PrimaryQuote'])
df

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thank you for this Marcin!
What is the difference then between TR.IsPrimaryInstrument and TR.IsPrimaryQuote?

Hi @aquilesjlp300 TR.isPrimaryInstrument - there could be several instruments issued for the single company. The particular instrument can have several different quotes and only one is selected as a PrimaryQuote based on the market cap.

Thanks for your valuable insight Marcin!

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.