For a deeper look into our Elektron API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
2 0 0 0

Elektron Websocket API - receives null values in ASK field

I'm connecting to the ERT in Cloud Websocket API to stream market price data, and want to clarify what it means when I receive a null value for the ASK field (FID: 25) in a Refresh Message and an Update Message. E.g.

{
    "ID": 3,
    "Type": "Refresh",
    "Key": {
      "Service": "ELEKTRON_DD",
      "Name": "EURQAR="
    },
    "Fields": {
      "BID": 3.9654,
      "ASK": null

I have seen some answers for other applications (https://community.developers.refinitiv.com/questions/48255/empty-field-value-bidask.html) but want to make sure I'm interpreting this null value correctly for the WebSocket API example. Can you confirm how I should interpret a null value for BID or ASK in both Refresh and Update messages? Thanks!

treprdp-apiwebsocketsrrto
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
25.3k 87 12 25

Hi @elisa.christian

Regardless of which realtime streaming API you use - RFA, Elektron SDK or WebSocket - and whether you are consuming Elektron Data from a deployed TREP server or from the Cloud you are accessing the same underlying data from the server/cloud.

Therefore the interpretation of Null field remains the same.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thank you. The only other thing I'm unsure about then, is that if we receive a null ASK value in the refresh message (because there is no ASK offer on the market at that point in time), and then we start to receive actual ASK values for that RIC because there is market activity again. If we later receive an update message that has a null ASK value how do we determine whether the ASK rate just hasn't changed since the last update or whether there's actually no offer on the market again?

Upvote
25.3k 87 12 25

Hi @elisa.christian

If you don't receive an ASK field in an Update then the value has not changed since the previous update.

If you receive an explicit Null value then this means there is no ASK value on the market at this point in time and you should Blank any previous ASK value you were maintaining in your application.

For further clarifications feel free to raise a Content ticket on MyRefinitiv - don't mention an API - just select the relevant Content type question for Elektron in Cloud.

icon clock
10 |1500

Perfect, that makes sense. Thank you!

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.