Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 1 0 0

Using Eikon Data API to retrieve real time prices

I am trying to retrieve real-time prices in Python following this guide: https://developers.refinitiv.com/eikon-apis/eikon-data-api/learning?content=81721&type=learning_material_item
The thing is that I work with a macbook and I use the Eikon API Proxy which works well for everything except streaming. I tested the same example in a windows machine with the EIkon application installed and it seems to work just fine. Is there any limitation with the Proxy? Will the proxy be supported?

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvote
Accepted
10.1k 18 6 9

Hi @mrafaelgomes - thanks for your question. So I take it you are using the old standalone mac proxy - which does not support streaming prices capability (nor will it support any of the great new platform features that have been released such as an improved timeseries history service, search api service and more as we go forward) as no more work is being done on that as our new Refinitiv workspace comes in a mac variant which has the proxy built in. I am a mac user as well and I think the best course of action would be to see if you can get a Refinitiv Workspace (the next evolution of Eikon) to test that out. It works really nicely :) Just speak to your Refinitiv Account Representative and they should be able to sort this out for you.

One other alternative is to investigate our new CODEBOOK app in Eikon - which is a cloud-hosted scripting environment accessible to you in Eikon. You will be able to get streaming prices in there as it uses the latest python libraries and services. You can find details here. This is also very nice :) as it a remote compute instance so doesnt hog local resources - plus it has instrument and field autosuggest in the IDE!

I hope this can help.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
1 1 0 0

Hi @jason.ramchandani thank you for your answer.

My use case would require that the prices are sent to a Java application. I was expecting to use a python script to just forward it. I quick look led me to believe CODEBOOK doesn't fit my needs or could I be wrong?

icon clock
10 |1500

Hi @mrafaelgomes - yes if that is what you want to do - CODEBOOK is not the right approach (though you may well find it very useful for other workflows). The best will be to get Refinitiv Workspace and its all straightforward from there. The other problem with the old standalone mac proxy is that you can either login to proxy or eikon - not both simultaneously - which is not an issue in Workspace.

I hope this can help.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.