Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
3 0 0 1

EikonError Port # was not identified

Hi Team,

I am raising this query on behalf of a client. Please see the client's query below:

I need to run the jupyter notebook/ python environment from my firm's AWS Linux server environment. I cannot install it locally.

I am getting this error.

Is there a way to work around this port checking because the machine running the desktop Eikon is not this same as the jupyter server.

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apijupyter-notebookjupyter
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

@Pacoy Sunico

In the setting the client described it's not a possibility. The client would need to have Eikon API Proxy installed on the Linux virtual machine in AWS, and there's no version of Eikon API Proxy for Linux.

From technical perspective it would be a possibility, if they were running Jupyter Lab on Windows. Then they could have Eikon desktop (which includes Eikon API Proxy) installed and running on the same virtual machine in AWS.

The question of data licensing, i.e. whether the intended use of data retrieved from Eikon is compliant with single user license, applies regardless of the operating system. To reiterate, any data retrieved from Eikon must be for individual user's use only. It must not be consumed in any kind of multiuser or enterprise type application.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 19

Hello @Pacoy Sunico,

Eikon Data API Python is desktop, user-level API. It integrates with Eikon via a running Eikon desktop, from the same machine where Eikon desktop is running. The content obtained via it can not leave the desktop machine. Please see Eikon Data API Overview for more details.

If you need the content on different machine(s), one of our Enterprise products and APIs can be of help. Please see Refinitiv Data Platform, with APIs, and Elektron with Elektron SDK Websocket. I am assuming that you are looking for integration using Python, both support python integration.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
39.4k 77 11 27

To add to the response by @zoya.farberov, you may want to check out Codebook offering, which is a Refinitiv managed Jupyter Lab running in AWS cloud. We are considering to offer access to Eikon data from customer managed Jupyter Labs in the future. But for now Eikon APIs can only be used either on the machine running Eikon or in Codebook.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
3 0 0 1

Thank you for your answers @zoya and @alex. I already offered Codebook to the client at the onset. I gave zoya's answer to the client and got this:

I did go through it but I am not sure if it answers my question. I think I need to be able to run the desktop or web based version of Eikon from my AWS server and do any analysis locally on that machine.

I will try to figure this out and come back to you.

Is this a possibility or will the client be able to have this work only by using the Refinitiv Data Platform or Elektron with Elektron SDK Websocket? The client's product is Eikon Premium and no TREP.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.